Thursday, October 13, 2011

Six

As in months old. Six of them. I don't know if the math will back me up here, but that's so many more than five.

I haven't written anything since the 5 month post, and quite a bit has happened since then.  Well, nothing BIG, but you know, stuff.  Like: we went to Wisconsin and John met something like 19 of his 25 first cousins. The kids were ANGELS on the plane trips and it couldn't have been easier and now I'm thinking about making the trip again soon with both kids ON MY OWN. I may talk myself out of this.

I've also been meaning to write about how much Lucy loves preschool and how we're both meeting new friends through it.  I've meant to write about how we're all sort of relaxing into fall and school and work again.  How my tutoring work is awesome, and the Bubba's work is busy busy. How I'm accidently the chair of a church commission. How time is flying and I don't even know where the last six months went. Because oh my goodness, I thought time flew with Lucy, it is ten times faster with John in the mix.

But writing all that all takes time and energy. And I don't have much of either of those lately.  We are currently fighting the sleep battle.  He gets up at 10/10:30 for is last feeding around when I go to bed (normal) but THEN he is also getting up demanding to be fed at 2:30/3 and then up for the day at 5:45/6. Not. Awesome.  So for the last week I've  really been working on getting him to go back to sleep without nursing.  Last night was a step back, though, because he was up and insisted on eating. BUT: progress sneaks along! Soon it will be 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep and I will have the energy to take over the WORLD. Mwah haha haha!


John is so fun right now.  I am just so enamored with 5 and 6 months. Love.  This stage is all cuddly baby and interested learner and smiley friend and slobbery kisser and grabby player. He learned how to blow raspberries and he lets out this playful screechy yell that says "Look at me, I'm over here!" He's not quite crawling yet, but he scoots around enough to get where he wants to be.  He does the two arm drag where he kind of grabs at the floor and pulls his body along, or he does this inchworm thing where he goes up on his feet with his arms and head against floor and he scoots along ON HIS HEAD.  It's pretty comical. He's almost sitting up, but he gets way too excited about reaching for things and ends up throwing his head at the floor in pursuit. So really, sitting up is dangerous.

He started eating solid food in the last two weeks.  So far he's tasted avocado and banana and pear and applesauce and today he tasted carrots. Little dude's a fan of the food. He likes it from the boob, he likes it from the spoon, he likes it here or there, anywhere, etc.

We had his six month checkup at the doctor today and he's back on his growth trajectory.  He weighed in at 15 pounds 5 ounces (not even double his birth weight yet!) which is in the 10th-25th percentile and he's 27.5 inches long which is the 75-80th percentile. It's really funny to me that these percentiles are so different than Lucy's.  I mean, she was almost an inch taller and two and a half pounds thicker at six months.  John's just so SKINNY. He has blowouts all the time because his skinny little legs just cannot fill the leg holes of the BGs I have. No matter how I put the things on.  He's got a good, average sized head, too, which is nice.


He LOVES his sister and would do just about anything for her attention. And she loves him too - she'd do just about anything to make him laugh. I so hope that lasts.


6 comments:

Carrie said...

Cutie pies! The picture of the two of them together makes Lucy look SO grown up!

Vivian was playing with her toy phone today and she pretended to call Lucy. The conversation went like this "Hi Lucy! Come play tomorrow! Bring Baby John! Okaybye!"

Jessica said...

We're taking both kids on a plane next week and I am very nervous. Do you have any advice?

Tara said...

Adorable! And I agree, Lucy looks so grown up in that picture. Like she could easily pass for a kindergartner!

Elsha said...

He has 25 first cousins?! That's just crazy.

He is a doll, by the way. And if your kids are anything like mine, the affection only gets better. They fight, yes, but they love each other and it's obvious.

Lisa said...

They are so cute! What a fun stage. Except for the sleep, of course. Where's the night nanny when you need her?

Kate P said...

Loving the photos and the stories of these kiddos! Congrats on a successful trip, too.