Friday, September 2, 2011

Preschool

It's blustery and cool today and feels exactly like a back-to-school fall day should, and all of a sudden my little three year old is joining the ranks of school-goers.

We kind of fell into preschool this year.  I didn't sign Lucy up for anything in the spring when every other normal parent on the planet was getting on the waiting lists for their ivory-college-lead-to programs. I just wasn't sure.  I wasn't sure she'd be ready at just barely three.  I wasn't sure I'D be ready.  I wasn't sure it would have been long enough since John was home so that she wouldn't feel like we were trying to get rid of her or replace her or some other such sad thing.  So I waited.

I ended up signing Lu up for the co-op preschool since it was cheap and close to our house.  But then I started getting a thousand emails a day from these over zealous moms on speed who were ridiculously excited about signing everybody up for classroom cleaning and curriculum night and assigning jobs for all the moms for the year.  I mean, it'd be different if I were going into this with friends that would share childcare, but I'm not going to find a sitter for John when I have to work there. I was not looking for more work to do.  It turns out that I already HAVE a job. And a half, in fact. So, no, thank you, Crazy Co-op Moms, I won't be bleaching Duplos with you this year.

My backyard neighbors (who are crazy awesome) have a four year old who went to the Christian preschool down the street last year and didn't have enough nice things to say about the school and the teachers and the whole bit. I contacted them and everything finally clicked on Monday. Today was the open house and we took our registration fee and our paperwork and overly excited three-year-old to the school and met the teachers, saw the classrooms, and got the run-down.

It looks, well, so much like SCHOOL.  Bulletin boards and tiny tables and tiny chairs and gym time and drawing time and bins with safety scissors and names on coat hooks.  Lucy dove right in and never even looked up to make sure we were around.  She played with the train table and looked at puzzles and made sure the books on the shelves actually had good pictures.  She even made a couple friends and shouted "Excuse me!" the teacher until Lucy had her attention (at least it was pseudo-polite, right?).

The teachers are saccharine, the other parents seemed with-it and nice, the other children just as eager as mine to come and play.  Lucy will be there three hours a day for two days a week.  I'm happy with our choice.

I am surprisingly okay with all of this so far.  I had the epiphany that John will be napping while Lu's at school and I'll have time to DO things!  So the first thing I did was look for a knitting pattern for a Preschool Sweater.  I made sure that Lucy's drawers were full of clothes that actually fit her (SCHOOL clothes!), and when I saw her get busy being Lucy all over that preschool room, I knew that I shouldn't worry.  But there's a coat hook with Lucy's name on it in a little ante-room of that preschool, and my (tiny, sweet) little baby is going to hang up her jacket there on Wednesday and run off into a whole other part of her life without me.

She's going to have a great time.  I'M the one that's going to need hugs.

1 comment:

Kate P said...

"being Lucy all over the school"--sounds as if she felt really comfortable there! My bro and SIL are going from one kid in school last year to three this year so I suspect they might feel what you do. I hope you found an awesome sweater pattern to keep you out of trouble. :)