Thursday, September 1, 2011

Check-ups

Both kids saw the doctor yesterday.  John for his four month well-baby visit, and Lucy for her three year visit.  Both kids are still healthy and awesome.

Lucy is 41 inches tall, which is still above the 98%, and she weighs 36 pounds.  Her weight is bumped up to the 90% this time after two years of being in the 50-75%!  At the three year visit, they start taking the kid's blood pressure.  It seems odd to me, but what do I know?  After the nurse took the cuff off and left, I asked Lucy what she thought of it.  She said "It squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezed but didn't hurt. Kinda like a hug."  They also start doing BMI at this visit; she's in the 25-50%.

Lucy also pulled out the "Excuse me, Dr. Sarah?  May I please read this book?" indicating one of the children's books in the exam room.  Dr. Sarah looked at me with her eyebrows raised saying something like "So polite and so smart. What an awesome combination." I didn't tell her that it might have been the first time I've heard anything like that out of Lucy's mouth before (sarcastic exaggeration).

John's doing well, too. He's drooling up a storm and gnawing on everything he can get his hands on, but no teeth coming yet.  He's got some early stranger anxiety (the kid's always been a big bad mama's boy) and he had big sobs every time the nurse or doctor came near.  He's rolling all over the place now, and he does this inch-worm crawl thing to reach his toys already. I had something like 7 months before Lucy deigned to move anywhere on her own; this kid is already planning mass destruction, I can just feel it.

He's 26.5 inches long which puts him in the 85-95%.  This is a new thing for me; none of my babies were ever less than >98% for height before!  But all of his stats dipped this month.  In fact, he weighs 13 pounds, 6 ounces which puts him in the 10th percentile for his weight.  The doctor was a wee bit concerned about this since he weighed almost 13 pounds at his last visit two months ago and was in the 50-75th percentile.  I guess they like kids to stay close to their percentile projections.  But, I haven't noticed anything wrong with his eating, I haven't noticed anything wrong with my supply, and if I thought the poor kid was hungry I'm not so fanatical about breast feeding that I wouldn't make him a bottle of formula.

So, it's one of those We'll Keep An Eye On IT things.  Which of course means that it's probably nothing to worry about and now all I do is worry about it.  Don't bother telling me not to, I'm in Mama Bear mode. I'm guaging my supply every time he eats, listening for all of the wet, slurpy swallows. I want to feed him every time he cries, because MAYBE HE'S HUNGRY!  But really, I'm doing my best to keep dong what I've been doing and not worry about it unless it turns into something I need to worry about.

So!  In sum, my kids are both very tall and thin and healthy. I also got a copy of Lucy's immunizations while we were there. You know, like you do.  For SCHOOL.  But that's a whole 'nother post for another night.

3 comments:

Manda said...

Um dude, Syd and Lucy are exactly the SAME SIZE! That is so crazy. Can't wait to get those two together and watch them EXPLODE!!!!

Jessica said...

Yay for healthy kids!

Sometimes kids have poorly timed growth spurts. My daughter was pretty low on the weight chart at her 2yo appointment, then gained 3 lbs in the two months since.

Elsha said...

Sounds like Lucy and Kalena are about the same size too! At her 3 year visit in May Kalena was 40 inches, 36 lbs. Will is way at the other end of the spectrum, he's at like the 5% for height and 20% for weight! So I've got one tall and skinny, one short and chunky. I'm just glad Will is younger so he doesn't have to be sad that he's shorter than his sister.