Monday, November 8, 2010

It's A.....

People, I totally forgot how emotional ultrasounds can be. I started bawling basically the moment my back hit the table. My tech was adorable, though, and awesome and I loved her. It's funny how immediately close you get to techs and nurses in situations like ultrasounds. Thank goodness for the really great ones.

The Bubba took today off and we lined up a baby sitter for Lucy so that we could go to the ultrasound together and then maybe out to brunch. Which sounds like heaven, right? But kids, they ruin everything, don't they? Poor Lucy is sick with a killer cold and it was a pretty hard night last night so Daddy stayed home to play nurse and I put on my Big Girl Pants and went to the appointment all by my onsies.

Which ended up being fine, because it was wasn't overwhelming for me. It was perfect. This perfect healthy baby was opening and closing its hands and flipping around and stretching simultaneously right inside me and right in front of me and it seemed so magical in the quiet dark of the ultrasound room. I was a little sad not to be able to share it with the Bubba, but it was a very intimate experience. A baby. That wasn't Lucy. Right here.

The ultrasound took a really long time because this baby was so very interested in getting a thumb into its mouth that it couldn't be bothered to be still enough for the tech to measure things like the head and heart. But watching that arm working toward the face, and watching that mouth work around that thumb. That was amazing.

And then I got to come home to my (Big) Little and my Love and share all the good news. The healthy baby, the great Battle To Get The Thumb, the sweetness of the stretching and moving and kicking. The positive outlook on life:

Thumbs up!

Oh, and there were hilarious surprise crotch shots with every other flip because evidently this kid couldn't resist mooning the ultrasound wand. Sounds about right for the progeny of me and my Bubba.

So, everyone, meet my SON. (I started crying again just typing that.) You were all so right! How did you know?! I myself was blown away.

He finally got that thumb!

17 comments:

Carrie said...

I have been checking email and twitter and the blog feed all day- dying to know the news! Sorry Bubba couldn't go with you. But I knew it was a boy!!! Seriously, you will LOVE having a son. They're crazy and strange, but so wonderful. We can't wait to meet him. I can tell already that he's going to be ultra handsome.

HUGE hugs to all of you!!!

Elsha said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! This made me tear up remembering my ultra sound where I found out baby number two, the one I was SO SURE was another girl was my son. Speaking from experience, having one of each is unbelievably amazing. YAY!

Morgan S. said...

That is wonderful, touching and teary-eyed news. So very happy for you!

Annie said...

Oh!!!! I cried too! Just reading that! Oh Liz. You will LOVE having a son. I know there are so many amazing and wonderful things about having girls, the depths of which I will probably never know...but I can certainly attest to the fact that being a mommy to a little boy is just one of the best things in the world. Your little son will love you like no other. Look at you-so blessed. Congratulations, friend. I am so happy for you.

Amy --- Just A Titch said...

Ultrasound photos get me every time. Congratulations, friend! A BOY! Lucy will have so much fun being a big sister to a little boy...it's been one of the greatest joys of my life. xoxo

Manda said...

Ahhh!!! Aieee!!! A BOY!! I love having a boy/one of each so far ... My baby girl is still my baby girl, and my boy is my boy (no competing!!) So excited for you!!!!

Dr. Maureen said...

Congratulations! Boys are, of course, wonderful. As are girls. One of each is awesome!

L said...

yahoo!!! Congrats. love that he is a positive little fellow.

-R- said...

It's too bad that Bubba couldn't go, but yay! Healthy baby boy! You will have so much fun with a little boy!

Have you guys talked about names yet?

A'Dell said...

That's so awesome! I am so excited for you! I think mine is a boy too. :)

Lisa said...

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

Julie said...

Whooppee!!! Great news! Congratulations on a BOY! I'm feeling really sad that the Bubba couldn't go with you, but hopefully hearing the news from you was equally as exciting as seeing it on the big screen. Ahhh..one of each. So fun!

Arwen said...

Hooray! I'm biased, obviously, but I think an older girl and a younger boy is an inspired combination. It's worked beautifully in our family.

Also, I never really believed this before we had Blaise because I had such a strong bond with Camilla, but there truly is something special about a mother and her son. Not *better* than the mother-daughter bond, but just special and unique. You'll see. It's beautiful.

Congratulations!

ccr in MA said...

As a former thumb-sucker myself, I already feel close to him. Congratulations!

Kate P said...

Oh my gosh! Very cool!!! Hello, Mr. Bidou!

Mary said...

Congratulations! Being mother to boys is such an adventure! I'm so excited for you! Prepare to get peed on ;-)

Jennie said...

I'm so excited for you! A boy a boy boy! How cool!

Congrats :)