Saturday, August 7, 2010

TWO

My darling Lu-bird,


It’s hard to believe that it was two whole years ago (and yet only two years ago!) that we met you for the first time. Right from that very first moment that we saw you we knew that the world was made just for the three of us.


Watching you grow and change has been the best part of my life so far. You have become such a fun and interesting and opinionated little person. And smart! You’re so smart sometimes I have to remind myself that you’re still just little. You know all the words to your favorite songs, and it’s really something to hear your five-minute version of “I’ve Been Working on the Railroad” as you loop verses and lose your place. It’s also amazing to hear you “read” yourself your books that I’ve read so many time you’ve committed them to memory - especially your Thomas the Tank Engine chapter book.


You catch on to things so quickly. One day we were talking about matching at the zoo, how the two zebras match, the two giraffes match, etc, and the next day you applied the same concept to helping me put the silverware away in the tray from the dishwasher. You blow be away with this kind of thing every single day.


My favorite by far, though is your laugh. You have developed such a great sense of humor. You call everyone “Bob!” and think it’s hysterical, or you’ll repeat funny words (POLENTA!) or phrases just to make us laugh.


Now that you have a big girl bed, another favorite part of my day is when you come to wake us up in the morning and crawl under the covers saying “Good morning, Daddy. Morning, Mommy.” with your sleepy wake-up voice while you steal my warm spot in the bed. That’s the start of the magpie report of everything you’ve been thinking about for the last few minutes that it took you to get from your bed to ours, and that brain dump continues all day until you fall asleep at night. There is never a question of what you’re wondering or thinking, or of your opinion on things.


I used to think it would be sad to watch you grow up and be less and less a part of me. I thought it would be hard for me when you wouldn’t want me to kiss and hug you all the time. The truth is, it’s so wonderful to watch you become such a beautiful little individual that my job just gets better and better. And the kisses that you give to me or ask for are ten times more meaningful to me than the kisses I used to take from you.


Happy birthday, my Sweet One. You are the joy of our lives and the pride of our hearts. Our greatest blessing. Your Daddy and I love you so very much.


Your Mama


4 comments:

Amy --- Just A Titch said...

Awww, what a nice letter! Happy Birthday, Lucy!

Annie said...

Oh happy birthday, sweet Lucy! Can you believe how quickly these 2 years have passed? And how much better and more fun life is with every passing day? Congratulations on two years, mama!

Spacebooke said...

Happy Birthday to Lucy... a very sweet post.

Carrie said...

Happy birthday, Lucy! I've loved getting to know you these last two years. You're a sweet and fun little girl. Happy birthday to you!