Tuesday, August 17, 2010

No Shirts

Yesterday as I was putting away groceries and getting ready to make dinner, I opened the fridge to find something and swore under my breath. As you do, you know. I'm not even very sure why I did. Probably something absolutely vital to dinner that was the only ingredient I'd failed to buy at the grocery store. That happens more than I'd like to admit.

Later in the dinner preparation, I opened the fridge again, and Lucy was right behind me. She peeked around me at the shelves lined with newly purchased food and said very quietly something that sounded an awful lot like a curse. I was surprised, half because I wasn't sure she was anywhere around when I swore just before, and half because she was mimicking me so exactly down to the tone and volume of my voice!

I looked at her and said, "What? What did you say?" figuring that this was a good opportunity to explain that we don't say that word and Mommy was sorry and won't do it again. But then she looked up at me and she said "No shirts. No shirts inna fridge."

"Ah. Ah yes... Well. There are no shirts in the fridge, you're right."

And just like that I'm off the hook. Just because she misunderstood.

Time to take careful watch over my mouth, though. Next time I'm sure I won't be so lucky. That girl doesn't miss much.

4 comments:

Manda said...

HAAAAA!
So far I'm getting away with her only repeating (ALL THE TIME! At surprisingly appropriate moments!) the words "dangit" and every so often? "crap."
Here's how she says it:
DANGITDANGITDANGITCRAAAAAP!
Just like Mama! Oh dear.

Lisa said...

Hilarious! We've had that problem in our house. And we've had to instruct several times on what words we do not use. But my husband still has trouble. So now Olivia corrects him. "No, Daddy, you don't say Dammit. Say, OH MAN!"

Kate P said...

I love that misinterpretation! Can't get much by her, can you?

Nice job on the 10K!

Lindsay said...

That is too funny. I would've started laughing. Bless her heart.