Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Leaps and Bounds

Lucy was an amazing little traveler. Maybe it was all the praying I did beforehand. Maybe I didn't give Lucy enough credit. Whatever it was, I'll take it.

The flight from WA to MN was short - we had a nice tail wind that put us there in about 3 hours. For the first 45 minutes or so Lu browsed the Sky Mall magazine picking out all the dog beds and pool floaties and electric life-bettering doo-dads, and then she started getting cranky and tired. The beginning of the end, right? But get this - Lucy went to sleep. No joke! The Bubba said "It's time to lay your head down and take a nap." AND SHE DID. Right on his shoulder.

We gave each other awe-filled Are You Kidding Me? looks and silently willed the entire plane to stop breathing lest it wake her. She slept until we deplaned and only then did she unglue her eyes to cheerfully look around the airport. The flight to WI was short and sweet, and then we were there! No delays. No inconsolably crying baby. NO DRAMA.

And the return flights? were THE SAME. I know. I was certain we used up all of our good Karma credit on the trip there and the return would be some heinous version of Please Just Send the Angel of Death, but it was every bit as awesome with a pinch of Charm The Flight Attendants and Everyone Around Us thrown in. Every day I'm glad Lucy's my kid, but times like this? I just am floored that Someone Up There somehow thought me worthy to have such an incredible little person in my life. I win.

The visit with family, as always, was too short, but we squeezed in an Easter egg hunt, seeing all the siblings living in WI, a bunch of delicious meals, trips to the park, and a visit to the 'ole alma mater.


And in those ten short days, I feel like my daughter has grown up. She can now pick out letters in writing. It started with Os - I was reading O Magazine at my in-laws' - and has moved on to Is, Bs, Qs (this is the cutest one in my opinion. It comes out like Kee-yooo.), Zs, Us, and Rs in order of frequency.

Her counting is out of control too. She can count to 10, that's not new, but she has grasped that she can assign a number to things and it's different from just numbers. She counts the bites on her plate, or the blocks in her tower, or one two shoes that go on one two feet. It's amazing.

Her sentences and expression of ideas are getting more complex, too. Yesterday we made a trip to the library to return some over due books. In the evening as I was putting her to bed we were talking about our day and she said "Walk. Run, run, run, steps. One, two, three, steps. Big door." And I knew right away that she was talking about walking up the three steps and trying to open the heavy door of the library.

We're slowly getting back into the swing of things at home. It hasn't been as rough as I expected, though. The worst part is that I am getting over the inevitable WI visit cold, and I'm still kind of blah tired. I can't say it helped to come home to grey skies and rain after a week of sunshine. Good thing I soaked up all that vitamin D. I'm already tapping my reserves.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh, I'm so glad it went well! Welcome back :) Sorry about the weather, it's been really random, so I'm sure it'll be nice again soon.

Amy --- Just A Titch said...

It's so cool to me when kids really start blossoming that way. She's so cute. Glad it was a great trip!

amber said...

Glad you made it back safe and sound. We sure did enjoy our little bit of time with you guys. Lucy is a doll.. so fun to see her all grown up. Miss you!!

-R- said...

That is awesome.

We are flying to San Francisco from Minnesota in August, when B will be 20 or 21 months. SEND ME ALL YOUR TIPS! Can you tell I'm already super anxious about this?

Kate P said...

Welcome back! I love that Lu told a story about her day. . . and it involved the library! Yay!

WV: tatershe. . . I guess Lu would be considered a "tot"!