Monday, March 15, 2010

One Step At A Time


I’ve been wanting to write about this for ages. But then life happens, and internet fasting gets in the way, and here I am with a thousand things I want to write about swimming around in my grey matter and they’re all fighting so hard to get out that I feel like I’m not going to write any one of them coherently.


I’m going to bore you my fitness chronicles, because … well, because it’s what I feel like talking about right now, k?


The running? It is awesome. My body is awesome. Who knew that a body can run if you let it?! Not me! My feet can run one step and then another and then thousands more and all of a sudden I’m all the way across town. Now that is amazing. I know I’ve said it before, but I never thought I could run. Actually, I had myself convinced that the best I would ever be able to do would MAYBE be a 5k.


Now I laugh in your face, self-imposed limitations!


On Valentine’s day, I ran a 5k race. In under 30 minutes. That might not seem fast to you? But I was pretty impressed with my zoominess. That also means that I shaved 4 minutes off my 5k time in a little less than a year. Being able to document my improvement like that is such an incredible feeling.


And now my runs take me to places I used to balk about BIKING to 9 or 10 miles away. It continues to blow my mind. My legs are looking mighty defined these days. And my old clothes are starting to fit again.


Oh, and did I tell you? That I’ve lost the baby weight? My first weigh-in at the OB was in the arena of 10 pounds ago. Now, I have to qualify this a little bit before you pat my back too emphatically. I got pregnant in November. Fat season. I don’t really do all that well with self-control around mounds of delicious food. So, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years? 5-10-15 lbs.... I was one of those lucky ladies that wasn’t nauseated at all in the first trimester – or really ever. Just the opposite – anything not tied down was in my face. My jaws were always working the cookies and stuffing and sweets and gravy and, and, and! This is to say, I don’t consider my first weigh-in at 11 weeks as my “starting weight.”


I am now at a comfortable Couple Pounds Above My Previous Normal weight. Which is really quite nice.


Mostly, though, I’m so excited about running that pants fitting is a pleasant side effect. Nights before my long runs I can’t sleep because I’m excited to get out there on my own. Just me and my shoes and the street and my iPod. And we kick butt.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Aaahh...that sounds so nice. I want to get there, or close to there...that exercise nirvana. I'm working on it...

Lindsay said...

very cool. Your tweets have kept me running through busy season. Thanks yo. Keep it up!

Dr. Maureen said...

Awesome! I feel much the same way. I've gone through stages of running on and off in the years since high school, but I started running again in the fall and this is the first time in my life I actually like the running part. It is not coincidental that I get to go outside by myself and listen to my mp3 player and be selfish, but still. I LIKE RUNNING. It's bizarre. And I'm going to run a 10K in 6 weeks for the first time!

Congrats on the sub-30min 5K, btw. That is HUGE.