Monday, January 4, 2010

Routine

After ten days of vacation with the Bubba just sitting around doing nothing special, I forgot how lonely being a SAHM can be.

The beginning of the vacation was kind of stressful. Not because we were doing stuff, but because we were doing nothing. The Bubba doesn't do nothing very well. I might even go so far as to say that he was depressed for the first day or two because he buried himself in two novels in a row, silently reading between bouts of moaning "I feel sad, like I should be DOING something that I'm not remembering to do." To which I, of course, replied, "I would be HAPPY to make you a Honey Do list." He politely turned my offer down.

I was ready for him to go back to work pretty much right then. I felt like I was doing twice the work with taking care of Lu AND the Bubba. But after that first few days, he got the hang of it, and spent some energy picking up after himself and being helpful with the laundry and meals.

But I knew it was time to get back into my own routine when I found a leftover baked potato in a plastic container tucked neatly inside the other plastics in the cupboard. Well, that and I didn't recognize anything in the fridge. Am I the only person who is absolutely lost when it comes to dinners unless I do the marketing myself? I was thinking this morning whether I had to get anything out of the freezer for dinner and I had NO IDEA.

Truth be told, I'm looking forward to getting back to routine, to regularly scheduled naps and strictly observed bedtimes. We just all work so much better when a certain shorty sleeps well. But the Bubba did help with laundry while he was home. And the dishes. And entertaining Lucy while I went for runs by myself and showered. And now I have to do my job again too.

Sigh. The pouring rain doesn't help. Nor does the crappy talk radio this morning. Blah, blah, blah, predictions for the coming decade, blah, blah, blah. Seriously someone called in and said something about President Megatron. I felt like I was in that movie Idiocracy. And I thought NPR listeners were supposed to be some degree more intelligent than your average bear.

I guess I'll go get dressed and figure out what we're going to do to keep ourselves occupied today. Cleaning the living room and putting away all the Christmas decorations is on the list.

Big fun up in here, people.

Welcome back to real life.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I managed not to cry before Daniel left but then did cry about 30 minutes later. I also forgot how long the day seems when he walks out the door in the morning!

Hopefully the sun will come back soon. I agree, that's making today so much harder.

And hopefully we'll see each other soon! That'll be something fun to look forward to!