Saturday, January 23, 2010

Day 1

The Bubba left this morning at 11:30.

I was just fine until we kissed goodbye at the airport. Lucy has been glued to her daddy for the past few days wanting nothing to do with me and only Daddy all the time. Daddy at bedtime. Daddy at meals. Do you want to throw the ball to Mommy? Noooooo! To Daddy! I got Lucy out of the car to give the Bubba one last cuddle, and she refused to let me put her back in the car clinging to Daddy with one had and patting his back with the other in her little lovey way. The Bubba strapped her back in the car and gave me a kiss and hug, and I lost it.

I had tried so damn hard to keep it cool. He doesn't need to worry about my mental stability while he's stressed about traveling and working abroad for three whole weeks! But it all caught up to me. And it was all so concrete. So real. At the airport. Goodbye. Until two weeks? Three? Too long.

The afternoon went by fairly quickly even though Lucy asked for Daddy every two to three minutes. On the plus side, "Qatar" is now in her vocabulary as a hyphenated word with "work" in reference to Daddy. And some friends came over for make-your-own pizzas tonight, so I had some wine and some distraction. Which was nice.

Even though today was fine, I don't know what tomorrow will be like. I have to work. I'm leaving Lu with Maggie and her brood, so I know that even if she throws a fit, it shouldn't be too long-lasting with fun kids to play with. At least I hope. We'll see how it goes. I'll probably be writing about day 2 and I'll be wondering why I was worrying so much. Let's hope anyway.

Right now it seems that I'm just procrastinating going to my cold bed.
Must face it!
Goodnight.

5 comments:

Manda said...

Oh dear girl. Prayers for you!

Carrie said...

I'm glad you ended up with some fun distractions! Hope day 2 goes well.

barbetti said...

I could probably try to blame it on the hormones, but this made ME cry! Lots of thoughts for you, Bubba and Lu! I understand how hard it is to say goodbye for an extended period of time.

I hope the next three weeks are filled with plenty of distractions!

Lindsay said...

Stay strong! It is CRAZY how attached we are to those we love. Does this mean there will higher incidence than usual of Lucy pics???? hhehe j/k

Anonymous said...

Mike and Marge; read your note and were feeling sad for you. It is sooo cool that you have a close group of friends. Grandpa Mike