Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Bon Appetit!

All the thinking I've been doing lately about fueling my running machine with good, nutritious food has been put on hold in favor of doing more thinking about cooking.

My mom showed up last week with Julia's Mastering the Art of French Cooking for me. And I think I'm in love. I think you might know that I'm a first-rate francophile, and French cuisine is definitely not the lowest on my list of favorite things.

We watched the movie Julie & Julia too. Have you seen this? If you haven't I heartily recommend you get thee to the nearest rental movie establishment and partake, because, LOVE. Love, love, love, love LOVE. Merryl Streep knocked it out of the park playing Julia. And it was funny and endearing and just really very good.

Anyway, we watched that movie and made Julia's boeuf bourguignon - because how could we not? It was every single bit as good as all the eye-rolling-in-the-back-of-your-head parts of the movie. And today we made cream puffs. CREAM PUFFS. And they taste like my friend Mijo's! (Mijo - I don't pretend to be anywhere near the magician you are in the kitchen!)

Tomorrow is the Bubba's birthday and all I can think is: the Reine de Saba chocolate almond cake? Or maybe the raspberry souffle from the movie? And Coq au Vin for dinner? Puffed canapes?

My pants are getting tighter just writing this.

Next week: think about the runners diet I put on hold and then, you know, actual running.

10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Well, I keep thinking about that raspberry stuff from the movie, and I can't eat DAIRY, so I vote you make that so I can live vicariously through you.

Elizabeth said...

PS Have you read My Life In France? I read it while I was in France three years ago and it was really fabulous!

Lindsay said...

I loved J and J the movie. It was just delightful plus the bloggery stuff cracked me up.

Arwen said...

I liked Julia & Julia the movie quite a bit when I saw it in the theater, much better than I liked the book. (Have you read it? Julie Powell is kind of whiny.) But recently I tried watched the movie again and found Julie annoying in the movie too... probably just because I'd been reading reviews of her new book chronicling her marital infidelities and just felt annoyed with her in general. Still absolutely LOVED the Julia parts though. Meryl Streep does an incredible job. I think I would have absolutely loved the movie if it had just been "Julia." They should make that.

Carrie said...

I loved the movie Julie and Julia- it was so wonderful! I got it for Christmas this year.

Tara said...

Watched that movie over Christmas... Made me DROOL! You'll have to take pics of your culinary masterpieces. :-)

She Likes Purple said...

Oh tell me how it all comes out! I loved the movie (and book) too and am glad to see someone else did.

Kate P said...

Wow! Sounds like fun. Yummy, too. This must be the "feed a cold" remedy for Lu.

barbetti said...

My experience with French cooking involves a lot of dairy, which WOE, I am not allowed. Sad. Eat an extra helping for me!

Manda said...

DUDE why can't we be neighbors so you can invite me over for dinner WHY WHY WHY IT IS NOT FAAAAIR!