Friday, November 6, 2009

Recovery

The amount of power we give our electronics is staggering. Or maybe I should make that more personal: the amount of power *I* give MY electronics is staggering. I wouldn't know my mom's phone number if it weren't speed dial #14 (sorry, Llama, I don't really know how to assign you speed dial #1 - you know I would!). I wouldn't have any clue of friends' or family's email addresses if they weren't detailed in my email account address book.

This week I didn't post anything on my blog. I didn't READ any blogs (sorry, guys, you know I still love you). I barely even checked my email. My computer crashing felt like a betrayal. Like a boyfriend breaking up with me and not telling me why. Was it something I did? Something I said? Something I posted for all of the internets to see? I felt like I needed a minute to evaluate my situation. A little moment to heal from the heart brake.

I started out feeling like I was doomed. I lost everything! Woe! But little by little I've repopulated my folders with photos I'd sent to the Bubba at work or that I posted here are there. And even one or two of the videos of Lucy just born were saved on the Bubba's laptop. So things started looking brighter. But still, all my music, my knitting patterns, my work documents. Those are still gone.

I made a decision as you do when you are at a crossroads in a relationship. I will never make myself that vulnerable again. I don't quite know what that means yet. I think it means having an old fashioned address book in my desk. It definitely means having an external hard drive and backing up my important files.

But I can't quit you, computer. Can we still be friends?

8 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm so glad you found some of Lucy's newborn videos!

Amy --- Just A Titch said...

I am still so sad for you, but am glad you've found some stuff...it's definitely made me think about what I'd do without my iPhone or computer! AAAHHHH!

Manda said...

I'm also so glad you found some newborn videos! That was the saddest thing ever when you said that you lost those.
An external hard drive is a good place to start. Oh, Liz.

Shelby said...

So sad for you still. I've been thinking about you all week. I'm glad things are looking a little brighter. We have one of those things that backs up all your info to an external drive periodically. I've never had to recover anything, but I'm really glad it's there.

Emily said...

I am married to an IT guy, and we pay $4.95 a month to have all our stuff backed up on their servers. Because an external hard drive could crap out, too, just so you know. Maybe you want to consider it? I'll send you the info if you want it. You'd be doubly safe in the event of something going wrong.

Been thinking about you and how sucky it must be. So glad you've found some bits and pieces.

barbetti said...

I feel so bad about this happening to you. I'm glad you found some of the stuff, but still. How are you doing? I'd be hysterical.

ambertheiss said...

Hey Lizzie.. look into getting a dual external hard drive. It's a mirror drive.. so it writes the data in two places at the same time. I've had externals crap out on me and lost important sessions etc. Well worth the extra money to have it backed up twice. I'm so happy you found some of the newborn videos!!

Kate P said...

Well said--and yay, a new post from you! You have been missed. :)