Thursday, October 1, 2009

We Eat A Lot of Cheese


One of Lucy's favorite new games is "What's this?" and "What's that?" Which sounds like "Da Tisch!" and "auh dasch!" She may have been German in a previous life. I keep expecting her to channel it and come out with "Hรถr AUF bitte!"

She has some amazing stamina for the "Auh dasch!" game and, I'd like to think, is tireless in her thirst for knowledge. Too bad she got stuck with me for a mommy.

We were at the grocery store the other day and she kept asking "Auh dasch!" And for a while I answered her "Apples!" or "Fruit!" or "Lettuce!" (I'm going to go ahead and let you believe that we spend a lot of time in the produce section buying and consuming the healthiest of foods). But I soon bored of it, and I didn't want to spend the entire time announcing everything I was putting into my cart.

For a while I made up stuff. Or maybe I just translated it into her language. "It's a puggerba." "Boggerbu." "Nanerfuh." Thinking that she'd tire of it eventually. She didn't.

I resorted to:

"That's cheese."

"Auh dasch!"

"Cheese."

"Auh dasch!"

"That's also cheese."

"Auh dasch!"

"That's cheese."

"Auh dasch!"



I'm pretty sure I'm about to get an award for my great and good work with this child.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

i love it!

barbetti said...

I totally want to meet your daughter! And see you again, of course!

Daniela said...

Too funny - and now I want cheese

Lisa said...

I feel the SAME WAY! It's exhausting answering that question.

Manda said...

That video is SO PERFECT AND EVERY PARENT SHOULD WATCH IT AND LAAAAAAAUGH! Also I will now start inventing words and teach my daughter to fist bump.

annie said...

OH MY GOSH MY KID IS BORAT. Liz! Seriously! "Wha dat? Wha you doing Mom? Wha you doing NOW? MOM! WHA you DOing? Wha dat? Wha dat, mom?"