Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Pride Cometh Before the Fall

Some days I think I have this job wrapped up, pretty, with a bow on it. And then, of course, the universe has to put me back in my place.

Yesterday I woke up with Lucy, got dressed in my workout gear, made and cleaned up breakfast, and did a workout video while Lucy played with her toys. Well, there was a fair amount of pausing the video to help with something or interest the child in another toy. Which ended up being fine because ohmygoodness it kicked my butt.

Anyway, back to my list of awesomeness: after working out I showered, got us dressed, and then we went to a new play group that Lucy and I are going to do for the rainy season. Lucy might as well have died and gone to heaven what with all the noisy toys and little bikes to fight other little kids over.

When we got home, it was lunch and nap. And during nap I made veggie nuggets for the recently converted non-veggie eater, set some dough to rise for some homemade focaccia, and cleaned the kitchen, and got all the books that are due together for a walk to the library after nap.

Now, at this point, I am convinced that I am The Awesome. I mean, who could POSSIBLY be more awesome than me right now?

Then the nap was over. And my daughter was replaced my an irritable bear-monkey hybrid creature.

After only 15 minutes with this beast, my high totally deteriorated. At one point I went in the kitchen to take care of a diaper and returned to find Lu standing on the table in the living room, and I found myself yelling, "Lucy! What the hell is wrong with you?!"

That's when the Perfect Wife and Mother Award Committee showed up and took away my shiny new trophy and replaced it with a poopy diaper.

I got too cocky. I forgot that every time I get a handle on How Things Work and SAHM Time Management something poops the bed. It's just the nature of the job. All of a sudden everything is unpredictable and there are brand new challenges to get grips on. Every day is a study in ambiguity and Lucy constantly reminds me how very little I am actually in charge. Most days I'm really good at rolling with the punches, but sometimes? Sometimes it just frustrates the hell out of me and I want to trade this for a predictable job.

7 comments:

Amy --- Just A Titch said...

Oh, you make me laugh. One bad day doesn't mean you're not The Awesome...and the fact that you can successfully make bread impresses the crap out of me. I am a total FAILURE at that.

Lisa said...

Amen! Yesterday, the kids were awesome, despite the circumstances. Today, they are selfish, pushing little monsters with sniffly noses. Why does that happen?

Carrie said...

I love the blogging community. It's such a comfort to know that I'm not the only one who does things like lose it with the kids sometimes.

barbetti said...

You make me laugh, Liz. I could totally hear your silky voice when I read this. Oh, the things I have to look forward to when Dublin stops being a blob.

Kate P said...

Nah, you're too creative and smart for a predictable job. :)

(As for the books--I'm convinced that online renewals were invented for days like these. I did mine today.)

Manda said...

STANDING ON THE TABLE!!! NOW I KNOW YOU TRULY UNDERSTAND ME!
(the other day I turned around and Sydney was standing up in her high chair rifling through the contents of the pantry behind us. I was SITTING RIGHT THERE the entire time. DUDE).
Also? Bear-monkey hybrid. YES YES YES.

Beanie said...

Think of it this way: you kicked some serious universe butt ALL MORNING LONG!!!