Thursday, October 29, 2009

Fall Is Upon Us

Transition complete. We're in full Fall mode, with the rain and the darkness. And my little family is hunkering down in our little house ready to wait it out. Except it's not necessarily that easy. I've been sad lately. And it's the kind of sad that you only realize was sadness after you don't feel it any more. Looking back over the last few days, I thought, "Huh. I haven't been happy."

And it's partly because it's dark when we wake up and dark when we eat dinner. And partly because Lucy has been refusing to sleep through the night. And maybe partly because it's getting rainier and colder, proof that winter is on its way. But mostly because of all of these things together and the fact that I haven't been Doing Stuff. And I like Doing Stuff. It makes me happy.

The weather here is still hard for me. I'm not sure I'll ever get used to it. The transition from the sunny days of summer, and the first gorgeous days of fall we had, to the gloomy wet landscape of winter is a really hard one. On the one hand, I want to get outside and go for a run, on the other hand. The Gloom. It sucks all ambition. It whispers in my ears that I could be perfectly content sitting inside munching Fritos and Halloween candy for the rest of the season. Cerebrally, I understand that getting out will help everything! But then there's Fritos. And Halloween candy. And warm.

Ah, the constant battle.

5 comments:

Amy --- Just A Titch said...

Awww, friend, I am sorry that the past few days have been hard. I can't imagine the darkness all the time---I'd be so sad, too. I think you are smart for identifying what's making you sad. Hopefully, getting outside and Doing Stuff and being aware will make it easier, even though the couch is so warm, cozy and inviting in these chilly days. Also, Southwest has cheap flights...and you have places to stay in sunny Cali. Love you, friend...take care! xo

Lisa said...

Amen! I don't think I'd survive it. It's been rainy all week here (the last week of more evening daylight...crap!) And the sun came out for an hour this morning and changed my whole mood. I NEED the sun!

Shelby said...

I'm so intrigued by these Seatlle winters. Is it the darkness that gets you? I'm used to thinking of terrible winters in terms of cold and snow because that's what my husband is so averse to (being Canadian, natch). At any rate, I'm sorry you've felt sad. Wanna trade places for a few weeks? You could come to San Diego, and I could get my fill of rain and gloom in Seattle . . .

She Likes Purple said...

When I spend a whole weekend at home, I'm depressed by Sunday. Getting out is good for the soul, I agree.

Also, sleep strikes will rend the happiest person blue in an instant. Nothing worse than a baby who WAS sleeping through the night who isn't CURRENTLY sleeping through the night.

Manda said...

key phrase: AND THEN THERE'S FRITOS (at my house lately? it's AND THEN THERE'S HALLOWEEN CANDY). Ugh.