Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Drunk With Sleep

So, just in case you were wondering, I'm still here. Yesterday took a piece of me, but I'm down from the ledge this morning.

Sleep is the root of all of our problems around here. Or, more accurately, the lack of sleep. Lucy has not been sleeping well. She will sleep for about an hour at a time, and then she will wake up, be crabby, and need to be held/rocked/patted/rubbed/loved on for about 10-15 minutes. Repeat. All. Night. Long. Add in a couple of really early wake ups - today was no exception - and you've got yourself a recipe for an, oh shall we say interesting? day.

Oh Sleep. I lost you, and I feel like I never truly appreciated you. I want you back, but you never return my messages, you unfriended me on Facebook, you won't stand to be here while that other girl is around. How I miss you.

I thought at first that the two naps that Lucy sometimes takes was finally interfering with the night sleeping. So I went to a one nap schedule. The only thing that happened is Lucy became more crabby, more needy, more whiny, and more stumbly - slash - accident prone. So today we're back to a morning nap. Which started at 8 am. We'll see how this day goes.

The Bubba and I were talking about a potential baby number two last night and dreaming and whatnot. And as exciting as another baby seems, it scares the ever-loving crap out of me at the same time. I don't think I'll ever sleep again. Not for 25 years until all my babies have left my house.

The sleeplessness has made us all a little drunk.

video

(As you can see, Lucy would win any dance-off in her age bracket. She started head banging on her own - like she invented it. I think it's about the funniest thing I've ever seen. Is it terrible that I couldn't stop laughing even when she bonked her head??)

5 comments:

Manda said...

You have a fantastic laugh!
Also, sleep is the new sex.
We put like 7,345 pacis in Sydney's bed so if she wakes up she can find one easily. Because Mama does not like getting up in the night, oh no no.

Lisa said...

Olivia used to do the head-banging thing too. She whacked her head so many times...I don't know why she didn't finally figure it out.

Shelby said...

Oh my gosh, Lucy cracks me up!! That's hysterical. I love her full-body dancing.

annie said...

LOVE the dancing. And, no, you'll never sleep again. But that happened once you had Lucy, so adding another to the mix won't change anything. Well, okay, it will....but seriously. The end of my good sleep was when I got pregnant with Christopher. After that you're just used to it.

Mary said...

That video had me laughing out loud! I'm not sure if it was the look on Lucy's face or hearing you laugh that got to me though. And personally, I've pretty much written off sleep altogether for the rest of my life.