Friday, October 30, 2009
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Monday, October 26, 2009
I baked a pumpkin cake in pyrex bowls to make a pumpkin - pumpkin cake. It turned out so incredibly awesome that I have to tell you all about it.
Actually, no. Just go get the recipe and then make it. Right now. Seriously, you’ve been missing out on this your whole life, and now you’ll be able to see the light. First I thought it was the caramel cream cheese frosting, but then, no. It’s the cake! No, both together. Mmmmmm. Guuuuuuh. Do it.
I do have one warning, though. Do not have a pumpkin beer and a slice of pumpkin cake and perhaps some candy corn or a couple bites of apple tart in place of lunch and expect to live the rest of the day as a normal human person. About two hours after I indulged, I felt like hot barf. I had not only a psudo-hangover from the empty-tummy beer, but I also had a wicked sugar hangover that left me a complete and utter werewolf.
When we got home, I decided that I really needed some other food in my belly before the police had to come investigate some sort of grizzly murder chez Center of the Universe. So while I put Lu to bed, I made my Bubba go get some ready-made food and then hollered at him –slash – gave him the silent treatment (first one then the other) for a good minute because he brought back grocery store frozen Chinese food that wouldn’t be ready to eat for 20 minutes. I won’t be making that mistake again any time soon. The beer and sugar, I mean. Not the yelling at the Bubba. That I'll probably repeat at some point in my natural life.
And now for your moment of Zen:
Lucy wore her costume to the pumpkin carving party our friends had on Saturday afternoon. My favorite part was how excited she was that all the carved pumpkins had “hats” that she could take off and put back on. So sweet.
Friday, October 23, 2009
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Monday, October 19, 2009
Friday, October 16, 2009
A very busy woman! Lucy has her cell and a board book and a plastic sheep. Ready for work!
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Monday, October 12, 2009
Thursday, October 8, 2009
- Lucy's vocabulary has mushroomed, and it's mostly hilarious (to me). She does a pretty good job of getting her needs across now between words and sign. She says "Hi, Mama!" when I walk into her room in the morning. Like she's a person or something! Her other favorite phrase is "No WAY!" I hear that a couple times a day. She's started putting a couple words together too. Like "Car! Go!" or "MO! peeesss."
- Lu has a couple of her books memorized and it cracks me up when she interrupts my reading with whatever word comes next.
- Last night Lucy woke up and just started saying "Oh, no! Oh no!" very pathetically. Maybe I shouldn't find that funny, but I couldn't stop laughing.
- A large part of Lucy's interest during the day is directed toward our living room windows. She can stand in the corner of the couch and watch for trucks and people and dogs for a good while. She's a pretty good guard dog in the sense that I hear "TOW-TUH!" (tow truck = delivery truck and pickup truck also) and "BeeBoh!" (people!) and various animal noises to alert me to the goings-on of our busy neighborhood. Oh and how could I have forgotten the "WeeeeOOoooo, weeeeOooooo."
- When Lucy is in a different room from me - EVEN IF SHE CAN SEE ME - she'll start her own game of "Marco Polo." She'll holler "MAMA!" To which I respond "Baby!" "MAMA!" "Baby!" Repeat an unfunny number of times. Sometimes she comes to find me, sometimes she just wants to make sure she knows where I am.
- The opinions. She has them about everything. From wearing her orange Crocs ALL DAY NO MATTER WHAT to what she wants to eat. In fact, she'll walk into the pantry and point at the things she wants for me to get down for her. Now I know how the Bubba feels when I need him around just to be tall for me.