Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Back on the Wagon

The Fitness. It has not lived here for a while. I have not written about it because, um, let's say it went on summer vacation for the past few months. Oh hell, let's be honest. I've just been super lazy.

But that's the past! I've turned over a new leaf (again)!

On Saturday, I flippantly asked the Bubba how I could possibly ever be a better wife to him. I mean, because obviously I am awesome and that pertains also to wifehood. And then I decided that that was an interesting question if taken seriously, and a good opportunity for personal growth. So I asked him to think seriously about it and we'd talk about it later.

You're probably wondering where the heck this is going by now. Well, I won't divulge the intimate parts of the Way We Work, but I will tell you that one of the things that my Bubba said was that he loved to see me as proud of myself as I was when I started from fat and lazy and worked my way to (fat and) 5k. And that got me to thinking.

SO! Ergo! Therefore. The new leaf. I've got a new 10k training program that I've devised for myself. It includes yoga on Mondays and the Shred on Wednesdays and a cardio workout video on Fridays. Running Tuesdays, Thursdays, Sundays. Three days in and so far so good (premature much, Lizzie?)!

The excuse factory for me ran on WHEN. When do I exercise? I like running and getting out, but Lucy likes riding in the jogging stroller some days and not others, or it's such a pain to get baby and baby gear out of the house. And after the Bubba gets home, my day is just done. Bath, bedtime, dinner, dishes, unwinding, done.

But today! I set the alarm clock and got up before my child. It was weird to have a few minutes of hushed dark morning just with my Bubba and me as I laced up my runners and contemplated long or short sleeves. I grabbed nothing but my iPod and out I went.

There were very few people out on the Burke Gilman Trail in the chill and the sun was just beginning to color the sky over Montlake and Capitol Hill and Mount Rainier. And I was alone with my thoughts for the day. I thought about my plans for going out of town to the Blathering this weekend, what Lucy's schedule is like this week, errands I need to run.

And when I got back home, Lucy had just started stirring and I had enough time for a quick shower. Before the Bubba headed off to work.

It seems like a great time to have to myself, but the bed is just so! nice! I'm working on it though, people. The routine. And then when it's routine it won't be quite so hard. Right? RIGHT?

If you have kids/busy schedules/no time when or how do YOU exercise?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

This is exactly what I struggle with. I love the quiet and reflection time of exercising out, by myself, but I can't motivate myself to leave that comfy bed so early. So we walk after my husband gets home most days. It's not much, but it's something.

Tara said...

Wow! Go you! I was doing great with couch to 5k and then fell off the wagon a few weeks ago. But this week! THIS week I will get back on. I was already up to doing about 2 miles then, so I'm hoping it won't be too painful to hop back in the routine.

I'm way impressed with your 10k plan!!

Lindsay said...

One thing I do that I think increases the frequency of my exercising is to say I'll go for a walk. Then if I'm up to once I'm out there, I can run. If I always had the expectation of running I think I'd have fewer bouts of exercise in a week ya know?