I luuuuuurve meeting new people. However, meeting a bazillion new people all at once is a little more than intimidating. But that's just what I'm going to do this weekend in Sacramento!
So! In preparation for The Blathering, here are 13 things about me:
1. Remembering peoples' names is basically the hardest thing EVER for me. I am a typical extrovert, but I have an AWFUL time remembering peoples' names even though I really, REALLY want to. I often ask people to repeat their names two or three times within moments of meeting them. This is a super embarrassing flaw. Please don't hate me for it.
2. I'm a loud talker. I have lots of siblings for which I will blame this. My mom calls my oldest brother and me Mr. and Ms. Loud. I'm also a loud laugher. And I laugh a lot.
3. I'm pretty good at being a chill mom, but I might make you look at all the photos on my phone or iPod. And also? I really do want to see all the photos on yours. Even if they're pets.
4. I have quite a potty mouth that I am trying to curb now that my daughter repeats most of what I say. Chances are, after a drink or two, no holds barred sailor swearing will ensue. I do my best to keep it under wraps.
5. Another quirk that comes out with a little alcoholic lubrication: my need to make everyone laugh. I am relentless in my trying to be funny. Sometimes it works. Sometimes the foot goes into the word hole.
6. I really like doing things with my hands. I can't watch TV without a yarn or sewing project, I tear the labels off of my beers, I constantly turn my wine glass in my hands, I twirl my hair. I'm not nervous, I'm just not still.
7. I'm a toucher! I hug! I back slap and hip bump and nudge. But I am not at all offended if you remind me that I'm in your personal space.
8. SAHM is an new position for me. It turns out I really like it, and I really like my kid. I read and learn all I can about my new profession. I could talk to you for ages about babies' cognitive and physical development. I find it FASCINATING.
9. Other than that stuff, my favorite things to talk about are books and food and knitting. I'm always looking for book recommendations and new recipes and patterns.
10. I'm a huge francophile. I have a Masters in French Studies which I am currently putting to use by teaching the language to a small person who strongly resembles my husband.
11. My knitting is compulsive. I have two or three projects cast on at any given time and I have stayed up until the wee hours of the morning not only to finish a project but to get to the "good part" of one. Like turning the heel of socks or finishing the cable panel or getting to the armpits of a sweater. Oh the thrill!
12. I come from a family of 5 and my Bubba is one of seven. Together, we have 25ish nieces and nephews. Our families are a big part of who we are and we cherish them, and I get kind of defensive when people judge big families.
13. Games are awesome in my book. Any sort, really. Scratch that - no sport-type games. I'm so uncoordinated I can't drive a stick shift. Any other games? I'm in.
This weekend is basically going to be the Mother of blind dates. I don't know anyone but Maggie. But I'm looking forward to it more than I am anxious about it, I think. I mean, if these ladies are anything like their blogs? We're already bestsies.