Monday, August 3, 2009

Snoozie McSnorerson

What a weekend! Adam and I had a date on Friday. I've decided that Getting Out is something that I should strive toward a little bit more. It was so fun. We went to a movie and out for pizza and beer. I felt like I was in college again. And in keeping with the college theme, I was out at a bachelorette party on Saturday night and closed the bars. Me. I stayed out and awake and laughing my face off until 2am.

I might even say that it was a more Wisconsin weekend than most. The bar we went to on Friday was a "Minnesota" bar, ALTHOUGH everything in it was from Wisconsin. It's kind of funny to that a bar dedicated to the idea of Minnesota did such a poor job of capturing that place. I mean, one of the bars I frequented in France was called 9-1-1 and it was dedicated to American Firefighters. And that owner did a better job of knowing what it was like to be an American Fireman than this owner knew what it was like to live in Minnesota. Weird. ANYWAY, it was good pizza, and I wasn't disappointed with my Leinie's Summer Wheat on tap. Mmmm.

And the bachelorette. She's a Milwaukee girl. We had a good old Wisconsin party complete with obnoxious veil, obscene drinking devices, and a book of dares. The bride is super outgoing and was loving the attention, so it was the perfect party. Everyone we ran into played along, and I laughed so hard that I'm still a little hoarse.

And this weekend has taught me a lesson that is now very dear: YOU ARE TOO OLD FOR THAT S#!T, LIZZIE! I was a complete zombie yesterday. I was on auto pilot going through my day with toothpicks propping up my eyelids and shoving every carbohydrate west of the Cascades into my maw. I was almost wishing I had an office job where I only had to sit and shuffle paper and stare at a computer in order to relax.

The Getting Out was magical, though. On Friday I was my Bubba's girlfriend/wife. We chatted and laughed and talked about things that weren't household management stuff. On Saturday, I was a woman. With girlfriends. Discussing the intricacies of finding your soul-mate hairdresser and arguing the finer points of boxers verses briefs verses boxer-briefs. I wasn't a frumpy house-mom for two entire evenings.

I started thinking that my life is a little too heavy on the diaper duty and being anal about household duties. It makes me lopsided. All of a sudden, in a different situation, I'm not sure how to interact with other adults. Parenthood is my job and my vocation and I love it more than anything I've ever done, but nothing can be the end-all-be-all.

So! Resolved: Get Out More. Also resolved: Come home at a reasonable hour.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm so glad you guys got out and had a good time. hurray!

Kate P said...

Aw, sounds like fun. Even if exhausting. (Mixing up Wisconsin and Minnesota? Weird!)