Friday, August 14, 2009

Part-Time Biped

Well, kids. We have walking. After the top two teeth cut, I feel like she's had the energy to put to practicing a new skill. (And now I have the Part-time Lover song in my head.)

It all started with this birthday present:

video
Look how dark it is at 7:30am! Summer is ending!

She got the taste of the freedom that is walking. And now she takes 5-6 steps at a time which she not-so-politely refuses to do in front of the camera. Is there anything cuter than a diapered butt wiggling and jerking with ungraceful steps? I maintain that there is not.

We are tired around these parts. The nap transition might just kill us all. Lucy is tired in the morning, but if I put her down for a nap - no matter how long she sleeps - she has a super crappy afternoon nap (if at all) and then is asking to go to bed by 5pm. If I don't put her down in the morning, the poor tired cild pinballs around the house getting into any kind of trouble she can until 11 or 12 when I can put her down for a middle-of-the-day nap. Oh, and did I tell you about the night waking? No? Well, she wakes up between 2:30 and 4 convinced that it's time to start her day. Dear Lord.

Add to this the week 55 learning leap, and I've got a whiney, clingy baby who is not happy unless Mama is sitting on the floor doing exactly what Lucy is doing. She will let me make dinner, but only as long as I am holding her or as long as I don't mind if she clings to my pant legs and whines. I don't think I've gone to the bathroom without her in my lap at all this week.

It's been a challenge to say the least.

The joy of watching her pride at accomplishing this ALMOST makes up for the crappy week of nap transition we've had. I say almost because, while it's is just so sweet and endearing and makes my heart expand, it does not make me forget.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Hurray for walking!

Oh, I remember that clingy stage. It bites. Hope she transitions back out of it soon!

Lindsay said...

Awww, too cute. Can't wait to see a vid in a couple months when she's walking so well she can sprint away from you, to your chagrin. :)

-R- said...

Wow, she is fast! And very cute!

Lindsay said...

Oh. Her little voice is so adorable. Wiggling in the pajamas. My heart lurched a little bit there.

Lisa said...

It takes about a week and a half to go from a handful of toddling steps to a confident walker/runner. At least that's how it happened in this house. Get ready to learn what babyproofing REALLY means.

Kate P said...

Wow, she actually looks where she's going--I don't usually see that when kids are pushing things! Nice steps there, Miss Lu!