Monday, June 22, 2009

Daddies and Daughters

It’s been 9 years since I’ve celebrated Father’s Day with my daddy. It seems like yesterday with sounds and colors fresh in my mind and at the same exact moment it seems like it was too long ago and I can’t quite catch the edge of the mental picture of his smile. The brothers came to visit and they shaved off all their hair so that Dad wouldn’t be the only one that looked newly shiny bald. The sun was shining and the family was together.

I don’t remember if I ever thanked my daddy for everything that he taught me. It was already so much, even though I felt like I had so much more to learn from him.

He taught me what love looks like and how an honorable man should treat people. I looked for a relationship that mirrored the love and respect and downright devotion that I saw in my parents’ marriage. And based on that, I chose my Bubba to be my kids’ daddy. And, oh my goodness, that was the right choice.

My Bubba shed tears of joy with me when our daughter was born. He looks at her in wonder and rejoices with her in new discoveries. He will stand with her at the cupboard and patiently let her touch every single thing in it before moving on to something else. He made a makeshift sandbox for her out of a Tupperware tub and gardening sand after seeing how much she enjoyed her little friend’s sand table. He lovingly explains to her the intricacies of shear forces and load bearing supports. He shaves his face just to give her kisses without pokes.

I thank God that I have had two exceptional men influence my life. And Lucy and I are both enormously blessed to have the Bubba for her daddy.


3 comments:

Carrie said...

Aw, sweet post. It sounds like your dad was a really great man.

-R- said...

Great post! I love the picture too.

KAO kid said...

=)