Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cleanliness, Godliness, and All That

I get pretty anal once in a while (hah!) about my house and my job as a SAHM.  Especially the cleaning parts.  I like living in a clean space.  It doesn’t have to be spotless; I can deal with a little bit of mess, but I can’t handle filth.  Well, I can’t really handle a lot of mess either.  Like when the toys are absolutely all over the living room and every pot and pan I own is strewn across the kitchen floor with little plastic dinosaurs in them and the laundry is piled up….  You get the picture.  I can’t handle that either – I just don’t even know where to begin.  So I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’m anal, full stop.

 

Add in a baby who is constantly on the move on her hands and knees (well, one knee one foot).  Every time I pick her up she has specks of grossness on her sweaty little hands and then she puts all those grossly-specked fingers in her mouth to help coax the teeth out, and EW.  I just can’t keep my floors clean enough, and I can’t wash Lucy’s hands every five seconds.

 

My only answer to this is Swiffer for a quick mop after sweeping the floor.  But I don’t really want Lucy to be that close to whatever sketchy cleaning solution they use to strip dirt off the floor.  That makes me nervous (although I fully admit that I am enamored with the idea of one of these.  It's totally in my knitting queue.).  I've thought of just using water and doing a once-over with a mop but that just spreads the dirt around, no?


So here's your part:  do you guys have some sort of magic solution for me?  Some awesome cleaning product that I've never heard of?  One I have heard of and never thought to try?  What do you do when your kid keeps handing you hairs she found in the carpet - or worse, tastes the fuzzies she finds under the armoire?  (Without resorting to one of these...)

 

12 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

As an anal-about-cleanliness person, you are probably not going to like my suggestion, but here it is anyway: Make peace with it. That's what I do. Granted, my personality is more of the type that defaults to making peace with some dirt, but if I tried to keep the house so clean a baby couldn't find ANYTHING gross to pick up and eat, I'd go stark raving mad. Because they are very, very good at finding the one tiny gross thing on the floor. :)

Shelby said...

Okay, that is AWESOME! Put that baby to work! Unfortunately I have no suggestions for you, though. Aren't those Method products supposed to be more natural? People seem to love them.

annie said...

I'm with Shelby - those method products come highly recommended for the "Green With Baby" types. I use the clorox greenworks. Well, excuse me, I HAVE the clorox greenworks. The amount of use it gets is debatable.

Carrie said...

We got a Shark steam mop for our kitchen/bathrooms. That made me feel better about Ethan crawling around those. They're a little expensive, but I have a bunch of the Bed Bath and Beyond 20% off coupons, and I can give you one, if you'd like. I've been very happy with the Shark and feel like my floors are cleaner than they were with the Swiffer.

Tara said...

I never thought twice about chemicals until I had a wittle bittie baby crawling around the house.

I started making a vinegar/water solution and putting that in the swiffer (I think we have a clorox version) and it works great on our laminate kitchen floors. I'm not crazy about the smell, but it does dissipate fairly quickly. I've read that you can add lemon or lavender or something...

Jess said...

I have no magic solution for you whatsoever. Except that in general (not being a parent yet, of course), I don't worry much about kids putting dirt in their mouths. But I would worry a lot about them doing that with chemicals.

Let us know what you find!

Mary said...

I am dying to get the Shark Steam Mop. The infomercials are VERY convincing. No soap required and instantly dry! I intend to get one before too long. I have a while before my little one goes mobile though, considering it still resides in my belly. So if you find a better option, please write about it!

Anonymous said...

ditto the making peace with it and the vinegar and water solution (about 1 cup in gallon of water).

cessc said...

i like the shark steam mop...it cleans with steam not chemicals

cessc said...

i like the shark steam mop...it cleans with steam not chemicals

Kanuck said...

Another vote for vinegar, that's what I've used for mopping for year. I just buy the 4L (1 gallon?) jug and it lasts for a while. The bonus for the clean-freak side is that vinegar does have some anti-microbial properties without being a nasty chemical. Most of the "green" cleaning products are based on coconut oils and thus would also be non-toxic.

Kanuck said...

Make that "for years."
Proofreading iz gud.