Wednesday, May 27, 2009

More Birthday Goodness

Thursday night, my actual birthday and after the zoo debacle, the Bubba’s idea was to get me to put on a pretty dress and take me out to a fancy dinner to make me feel pretty and spoiled.  I'm not a huge fan of surprises.  So, I grilled him when he got home with questions all about who he got to babysit (“Is it ___?” “No.” “It’s not _____, is it??” “No, no.” “You better just tell me.”) and what kind of food we were going for.

So he finally succumbed to my torture and told me his plan was to take me to Ponti which is a fancy-pants fish restaurant on the other side of the canal.  I do love me some seafood, but I didn’t really want to spend upwards of $100 on dinner.  Just going out the two of us ALONE (which btw has happened approximately once since Lucy was born – the other two times we’ve been out were for parties) was a big enough deal.  So we decided to try La Carta de Oaxaca in Ballard. Have you been there? HIGHLY recommend. AND we only paid $50 for appetizer, drinks and dinner. Also HIGHLY recommended? The margaritas. OMG mine was delicious. Then we went to the Cupcake Royale for dessert.

Over his Carrot cupcake and my Original, the Bubba handed me an envelope. I was thinking it was a gift certificate to somewhere so I could pick out one of the things I’ve been dropping not-so-subtle hints about for the past three weeks. But that’s not what was in there. No, my Bubba couldn’t have gotten me the $18 necklace from Urban Outfitters or the other one that I totally love from Anthropologie with Lucy's initial on it. Have I mentioned that he had already bought me some running pants and new running shoes? I wasn’t expecting much.

Except that it WAS much. It was a voucher. Which explained that I’m going away to Sacramento in September to meet Elizabeth. And Manda. And Emily. And I’m going with Maggie. My Bubba booked a flight and a hotel room. And I’m going to go away for the weekend to meet awesome girls and drink copious amounts of wine and sleep in a bed that someone else makes and no one else sleeps in (those two nights anyway).

I couldn’t eat any more of my cupcake because I was crying. I ’m sure I made a bit of a scene in the shop.  And the first words out of my mouth were “I can’t do this!”

I was partly crying because the present was so far outside of my expectations.  Partly because I had already gone through the decision process about the “Blathering” and concluded that it would probably not be a wise use of our funds at this point.  Partly because I didn’t feel like I deserved it.  Partly because I really, really wanted it and what’s to make a woman feel guiltier than wanting a weekend away from her husband and baby?

And I still kind of have mini panic attacks about it.  I’m going to meet people I don’t know!  And I’ll be gone a WHOLE weekend.  But it’s in September!  Lucy will be 1+ and it’ll only be a weekend and my Bubba can handle it (I HOPE my Bubba can handle it!).

So WHEEE!  Here I come girls!  I’ll be the one with my name on my wine glass and my toothbrush around my neck.  This so as not to take up any room in my luggage for the cute shoes I’m going to purchase especially for this event so that I can lounge around Elizabeth’s yard in them feeling like a woman of leisure.

Hey – I feel a new fitness goal coming on: Smokin’ by Sacremento!

10 comments:

Manda said...

YEAH! Smokin' by Sacramento!! I like it!!!
Don't worry I've already been freaking out about leaving my baby too. And I'm not even staying at at hotel ... crashing on the FLOOR. At a STRANGER'S HOUSE!! I'm SCARED!! But so excited!!

Carrie said...

What a wonderful hubby you have!!!

Emily said...

Does it sound stalkerish if I tell you I was hoping you'd come?!? YAY!!! That's awesome!

-R- said...

What a sweet present! And you will have so much fun!

maggie said...

I'm glad you're going, because I'm going to need someone to hold my hand during the turbulence.

KAO kid said...

This is completely top-notch great stuff! Three cheers for Adam (I'm sorry, I cannot call him "Bubba"--that is what we call the dog). He came through in a big way...which I, of course, will make sure Alex knows over and over again for the next couple of weeks! ;)

I hope you had the most wonderful birthday!!!

Lindsay said...

WOW. That is an allstar birthday present. I can't wait to hear about FakeHer when you all get back..

Lindsay said...

Awww! How sweet. He is a good husband. For what it's worth, I think you absolutely deserve it, Liz. Besides, they do have this new invention called a telephone that allows you to talk to people from great distances (I abhor it, but I hear others love it), so you can still talk to your Bubba & Lu-Bird. :o) Plus, the baby cuddles will be all the sweeter when you get back.

Kate P said...

What an awesome b-day present!

Elizabeth said...

I am SO excited that you are coming! And your husband is the awesomest, he really is.