Monday, April 6, 2009

Win

I’m really good at starting weight loss/fitness regimes. When it comes right down to it, I can be majorly obsessive about what I eat and when and how much I exercise. It doesn’t necessarily make me happy, but I can do it. It doesn’t last too long, though. I think the longest I’ve gone is two months on a "fitness" kick – and that was when I quit smoking (for good).

What with the smoking and whatnot, you can understand why I have sucked so majorly at running and other things that involve full lung capacity. I’ve been sticking to my couch to 5k training, though! And I’ll be done with it NEXT WEEK.

On Saturday the Bubba and Lucy and I went to Greenlake (about 2.8mi) and ran almost the whole way around. I’ve never been able to do anything like this, and I can’t even say how proud I am of myself. I want to call random people up and tell them that I’m a runner! I run! That’s what I do, because I’m a runner!

My dad was a marathoner and I never thought I would ever share that interest. He ended up quitting because he had bad hips that I’ve inherited. But since Lucy was born, I don’t seem to be having as much trouble with them even with the running. So my slow little attempt at making my way a couple miles makes me feel like I share something my dad, and that he’s proud of me.

So I’m looking for a 5k race for the end of this month to help motivate myself and also to celebrate my (ginormous) accomplishment. But these stupid Mommy Emotions get in the way. I can’t look for a race without tearing up. Not only because I’ve come so far in my fitness goals, but also because these are memorial races for gun control, because so-and-so was shot, WAH! And for diabetes – what would it be like to have a child with diabetes? WAH! Etc.

And then I have to keep adding milage to my training because I have plans to run the Beat the Bridge with my friend in early May – it’s 5-ish miles.

I can’t believe that I’m actually doing this. I was never even able to run the mile in gym class as a high schooler. And I’m sure my Bubba is sick to death of me asking “How proud of me are you!?”

9 comments:

Carrie said...

Good for you!!! I'm so impressed! Seriously, I am counting on you and Maggie to kick my butt and help me get back into shape after this kid shows up.

I love that it's something you can share with your dad too. That's so great. :)

Julie said...

I'm proud of you and I don't even know you! I felt the exact same way when I finished C25K, and COULD NOT believe it. I had never even come close to running a mile before and I did a 5K! I do recommend finding a race to run - finishing that was the best feeling EVER.

Lindsay said...

Oh, I absolutely get it. I can't run a mile without stopping, but I'm hoping to maybe get on this running kick eventually, just to see what all the buzz is about. Maybe. I'm proud of you, though. I can see how difficult that would be, because I know it would be for me, so I give you a standing ovation.

KAO kid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KAO kid said...

I am very proud of you!
I am also working on a training schedule.
I have been working on it and reading a lot to "get my mind right..."

You do it to it, lady!!!

Anonymous said...

Lizzie;
read your running blog and I am so very proud of you!!!! What an accomplishment... It is so neat to see that you JUST DO IT! ! The fact that you are exercising will pay off in spades as you grow older.. I am positive that the fact that I ran every noon hour for a number of my middle years got me through the heart attack..I am prod of you. Grandpa Mike

maggie said...

WOO.

One day I shall conquer the lake. ONE DAY.

Lisa said...

I've always thought it would be cool to be a runner. They are so...motivated! Although I can walk all day (seriously, like hours on end), I have NEVER been able to run for long. Guess I've always lacked the discipline to train. GOOD FOR YOU! YOU ROCK!

Kate P said...

Way to go!