Thursday, April 23, 2009

New Hobby

I LOVE SPRING. Love it. I love the sun, I love the cool breezes, I love the new flowers, I love the cherry blossoms, I love the smell of dirt. I even love the stinky fish smell from the canal because it means sunshine and outside-ity.

I have to have a little period of mourning in the spring, though, because I usually put away my knitting for the summer. I just don't want to play with wool or think of cold evenings wearing cozy sweaters when there's sun and warm weather and outside is calling me to come and play!

At the fancy-pants mall in town there's a fancy-pants kids store that I went in to look for something for the rash of new babies around church and work friends. Except I couldn't even afford a pair of socks. There were a couple of really cute t-shirts, but they were $75! No thanks, not for something that's going to have smears of pureed carrots on it after one wearing and something that won't fit in three weeks. Ugh.

But they were that expensive? because they had cute little flowers embroidered on the front. And all of a sudden, I found myself a new summer hobby. It still counts as making things! And I can design things myself and be all creative. I wonder why I never thought of this before!

When we were up at the outlet mall this week, I found some baby t-shirts for $1.99, and this is what I've come up with so far:

My lovely model Lucy is wearing a cotton t-shirt with fruit sharing a whimsical message:


This says "colorful" in Japanese. I was shooting for "cute", but it turns out that it's a way more complicated character.


And this one:

It's a Lu Bird!

I would make such an awesome pioneer wife. We'd have embroidered monograms on everything and my husband would have the fanciest hand-tatted collar in town.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I am so jealous of your mad creative skilz. I can't even manage to find time to do the dishes during the day. I can't imagine finding time to knock out cute little projects like this without having at least one needle-induced toddler accident.

Morgan S. said...

Gosh, those are super cute!

Elizabeth said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE the embroidered Japanese fruit. Seriously, you need to sell those on Etsy! I'd buy one!

Kate P said...

That is a great idea. When I was a kid, it was all the rage to have designer jeans with logos on the back pockets. The little kids' consumer-educational magazine my brother and I would read suggested asking mom to sew on your plain jeans, so great (economical) minds think alike!

Carrie said...

You are amazing!

Lindzi said...

Ever thought of starting a 'how-to' craft website? I'm a knitter too, but don't have half your skills! and you're right - it doesn't work to make knitted things during the summer. Embroidery is a wonderful idea!

Swistle said...

Oh my dear heaven. Tell me you are going to have an Etsy shop. TELL ME.