Friday, March 6, 2009

Safety, Cleanliness, Godliness, etc.

I shouldn’t have worried yesterday.  Remember what I was saying about borrowing trouble and thinking about every worst-case scenario?  Yeah, well, now I have to brag.  I got to the meeting and there were only 5 other people in the room, so I figured, what the heck?  Either they’ll tell me that having Lucy there is a problem, or else this is one of the places having a baby in tow is acceptable – at a Catholic function.  I talked to the presenter and he didn’t have a problem with Lucy, so that was that.  Then about 20 more people filtered in, and I was sitting toward the front of the room and I started getting a little nervous.

And?  She.  Was.  An.  ANGEL. I don’t know if she’s ever been that well behaved before ever over the course of three hours.  She played very quietly with her toys and then she drank a bottle and fell asleep.  What?  I know.  I am still blown away.   AND?  After the conference, I was walking out with the stroller, and a lady that was sitting two tables away from me said: “Did you have her with you the whole time? I didn’t even notice her!”  Yeah.  Awesome.  I guess I shouldn't be that surprised considering that her daddy is the God-King of the theocracy of Laid Back, but it was still awesome.

The How-to-spot-and-deal-with-abuse training was interesting in a frightening sort of way.  I had to do a very similar, though more intensive, training when I volunteered for CASA, so at least I knew it was going to be hard to take in.   The statistic now is 1 in 8 boys and1 in 4 girls will be exposed to some sort of abuse before they are 18.  That’s a terrifying number in general, but for us girl-moms?   Ugh.

But that kind of information is at least helpful and encourages us as parents and community members to be constantly aware and on guard for our childrens’ safety.  I’ve been reading Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron, which is generally an ok book when you’re considering nutrition, but she throws out some little tidbits that are absolutely ridiculous and clearly well beyond the scope of her seriously limited intelligence.  (I don't think much of them, can you tell?)  For example, get this: “Remember to keep your facial expression pleasant when your are changing your baby’s diaper…  He will notice any look of disgust on your face, which may teach him that his private parts are repulsive and lead him to believe that sex is ‘dirty’ when he gets older.”   Are you kidding me right now?  I just can’t even respond to that in any sort of charitable manner, and since I’m trying not to swear as much, all I can say is, that’s the biggest load of BS I’ve heard in a very long time.  I wonder if she made it up on the spot.  I wouldn’t be surprised at all.  

(Deep breath to avoid getting too worked up,  aaaand sigh.)

And now I leave you to mull that over because I must take advantage of naptime by mopping the kitchen floor. I’ll let you be impressed for just. a. moment ... before ... I ... tell ... you – oh, maybe I won’t tell you how long it’s been since it was cleaned. Maybe I’ll just hint that I might have mopped it last trying to induce labor… 

And now your daily moment of Zen (am I allowed to shamelessly steal that like that?  Too bad, I just did.) :



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the pink overalls

maggie said...

Dude. If that's true, Jack is going to be in therapy for YEARS.

Every time I think about volunteering with kids I think about how I will have to take a similar class and how my poor delicate insides won't be able to stomach it. I prefer to stick my fingers in my ears and never watch the local news.

Lisa said...

Her eyes...she's such a cute kid!

Kate P said...

It's a shame that such a class is needed, isn't it?

Of course Lu was an angel--don't you know something like 95% of the stuff we worry about never comes to pass? :)