Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My Post About Me

The sweet and lovely Lindsay interviewed me.  Being myself (as I am wont to be) I completely over thought each question.  And because I find myself fascinating and witty, I post my answers to her questions here for your edification.  

1. Which personality characteristic or aspect of yours do you love the most and why?

My favorite thing about me? How do you expect me to choose just one?! Well, if I must… 

I think my favorite thing is that I am not afraid of people. I can talk to anyone about (almost) anything, and I love learning from and about people. I’m an animated extrovert, so people are important to my wellbeing. It's a survival technique, I suppose. I’ve never had too difficult of a time meeting people (until I lived in the NW, darn you cold shouldered sons of guns). Conversely (I feel like I should present a fair picture here) I am ridiculously impatient about letting a relationship evolve (see question 5).  (Anything else I can put in parentheses? No? Okay, on to question 2.)

2. Disregarding finances, feasibility, capability and practicality, if you could have any job, what would it be?

Disregarding finances, feasibility, capability and practicality? Hm, I guess that means I could choose to be a philosopher during the enlightenment. But I won’t. Although I would like to have been a fly on the wall during a salon just too see how interesting the topics got after a couple hits from the decanter. 

I think I would choose travel writing. Travel rocks my world. As does eating. And exploring.  And cultural experiences.  I told the Bubba this, and he said “Well, why not just be a traveler/explorer then?” I think that’s a little like being a SAHM with a maid and a nanny – what’s left to accomplish? I would need a sense of fulfillment, of a job well done, and writing would do that. Besides, I like writing.

3. If it were within your power to bring one fictional character to life--from a book, movie or otherwise--who would you choose?

I’ve been thinking about this for days. What an impossible question! I think maybe Anne Shirley so I could slap her face and marry Gilbert and don’t even get me started on any of Jane Austen’s characters. Half of them need a good face-slapping too.

Maybe Paul from L’Ensemble C’est Tout by Anna Gavalda. I’m pretty sure we would be BFF.

4. If you could write two letters to yourself--to yourself ten years ago and to yourself ten years from now--what would you say?

Dear Lizzie in 2000,

You’ll be ok.

Love,
Lizzie in 2009
____________

Dear Lizzie in 2020,

You’re probably ok, too.

Love,
Lizzie in 2009


5. How did you meet your Bubba? What is the story behind your marriage?

Ah, my Bubba. *sigh* Isn’t he dreamy? You want the whole story?

We “met” at a New Year’s Eve party. I put that in quotes because we knew of each other all through undergrad since we ran with the same circle of friends, but we (and by we I mean he) can only think of one occasion that we had a conversation. It was obviously so incredible that I don’t remember it.

But at this NYE party? When did the Bubba get attractive? I was super unsure that he would like me. But I smooched him at midnight and then we spent the next two days monopolizing each other’s time.

The Bubba was just visiting our mutual friends for that weekend. He lived here in Seattle working on his Master’s at the UW and I was living in Madison, WI having just defended my Master’s thesis at that UW. After he left, I called my mom and told her I met someone. And giggled.

Long story short(er): the Bubba moved to Sweden for a year and I decided to teach in France for the year he’d be gone. I spent some time in Sweden before my position started, and the Bubba spent lots of time traveling to France to see me.

And then in November we decided we’d get married and live happily ever after. But the Bubba INSISTED on proposing “correctly.” We bought the best piece of plastic bling from the BHV that we could afford (26€) on the way to the Eiffel Tower. As we climbed up to the middle landing and caught our breath, the Bubba said “Well, are you going to put your ring on?” Not exactly my take on ideal, but he can tell everyone he proposed on the Eiffel Tower, and that evokes the ubiquitous “Aw.”

We had a very short dating relationship and were married the following July 2. And then I moved to Seattle. And we had a very difficult first year of marriage after we realized how very little we knew of each other.

And then we started living happily ever after!

6. As an bonus fun question, if you could only speak in one of the eight parts of speech (verb, noun, pronoun, adverb, adjective, preposition, conjunction or interjection), which one would you choose and why? If you're feeling particularly generous, would you reward us with your attempt to do so?

The ridiculousness of this question really speaks to me, and I actually had to try speaking in each part of speech to be able to decide.

Bounce put sleep cry calm breathe.
Computer page friend wink smile.
Me you each other her myself.
Boldly quite expeditiously more unfortunately early.
Big hungry spicy messy delicious unthin.
On above beyond toward without.
And for until, if because when.
Aaah! Expletive! Sorry! Skadoosh! Dude! Badaboom!

Poetic, non? Therefore I give you my choice in haiku form:

Manipulative
Spilled useful chunky lovely
Wordy nerdy loud


Do you want me to interview YOU?  Just ask!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Okay, I love your letters to yourself. Says it all.

And it was great to hear the true story behind the romantic proposal- seems like we heard a slightly edited (without the 26 euro ring/and not-so-romantic utterance from your new fiance) version earlier on this blog.

Lindsay said...

Hehe. I love ridiculous fun questions. Thanks for answering. I enjoyed reading your answers. :o) (Also, I totally get you about the cold-shouldered people! Being from Indiana and then coming to Boston was like the biggest cultural shock ever.)

Anonymous said...

Superb post, Liz! The poems are gems...

Sending lots of warm mid-western vibes from New Orleans!

Love love,
Sarah

KAO kid said...

Freakin' fantastic!
I love you!

Kate P said...

I think you would make an excellent travel writer. And that fictional character face-slapping idea is hilarious!

If you'd like to interview me, I'm game! :)