Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Chub Looks Better on Lucy

So, it's been seven months since I pushed a little creature into existence. And I'm not really where I thought I'd be when I was planning so idealistically to be Hot By Thirty.  Sigh.

My weight has been s-l-o-w-l-y decreasing since Lucy was born, but I still have a ways to go.

Up till baby, I've had my "winter weight" and my "summer weight." I also had my "smoking weight" and my "quit smoking weight," but it all happened to revolve around the same 7-ish pounds. Which? Not quite the 15 that's kicking (or maybe sticking to?) my butt right now.

I should report that I started strong and lost almost 15 pounds from September to December. Which is awesome.  And then I leveled off because I lost concentration, and then gained 2 of it back in the last few weeks.  Weight loss is hard. (Whine, whine, whineywhineywhine!)  I guess I knew that somewhere in my brain, but really, if you let down your guard for one blessed little frozen thin mint cookie, the floodgates of indiscretion open and your efforts are all but thwarted.

But spring is on it’s way.   I want to wear cute spring-y clothes.  That means get rid of the belly.  Get rid of the huge arms.  I gain weight mostly in my core and in my arms.  With these 15 lbs hanging out, I can still wear the size 6-ish pants I wore pre-Lucy as long as they're low rise.  If not?  Try a size or two up to squish what used to be my waist into them.  I look like a marshmallow on a couple of toothpicks.

The good news is, I'm back on the exercise bandwagon. I started the Couch to 5k regime and I find that I really like it. Especially with the podcasts announcing when to run and when to walk and taking all the thinking out of it. Could it BE easier? I think not.

I love love love the way exercising makes me feel. I love the way I feel about myself, I love the energy I have for the rest of the day.  So, I've slowly been getting rid of my excuses not to run. I have good shoes that fit, I have exercise clothes that fit, I'm doing the double-up sports bra method to keep the milk jugs from strangling me mid-stride.  And we bought a jogging stroller that I love.   That was the biggest clincher, this way Lu can go with me and my running time is not limited to the time before Bubba's work and the time after he gets home.

Losing weight isn't my only motivator this time, though.  I have always said that I would love to run a 5k with my Bubba.  And this couch to 5k program is something that he's doing with me.  Even though we're not running together everyday it is a big support.  (Have I mentioned that when the Bubba jogs with me he has to jump imaginary hurdles to keep his heart rate up?  We don't jog together too often because I end up feeling like I'm holding the marathoner in him back!)  It's also getting to be nicer outside and that means more time on my road bike which I haven't rode since I was about 6 months pregnant.  Our next big "toy" for Lucy will be a bike trailer, methinks.

So I've recommitted to loosing these last 15 pounds and being more active.  There's still a couple of months - I could be at least closer to hot (and buff) by thirty!  

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Go, Lizzie! Seriously, it sounds like you have a great plan, and I believe you can do it! It's so hard to get motivated when you're tired from baby stuff. I speak from experience here. The couch to 5K sounds great, a lot of the girls that I "know" from a weight watchers message board swear by it.

Good luck!

Manda said...

Ha ha ... "strangled by the milk jugs?" Ho ha aahhhahhha!

Good for you! I like your attitude towards it all. I'm feeling so much better since I started eating better and working out ... it's was more about doing something for myself (instead of everyone else) for a change. It's transformed my outlook on life ... and I've only been at it 2 weeks!!

Megan said...

Wait, what is this couch to 5K thing? I'm behind!

Kate P said...

Consciousness is the first step--and look, you're already more steps into it! Go for it! :)

Lindsay said...

"Have I mentioned that when the Bubba jogs with me he has to jump imaginary hurdles to keep his heart rate up?" I burst out laughing when I read that. You know, it seems like all my internet friends run. I have never understood running. Also, clumsy. Running often results in me tripping. I've always found it to be awful, but maybe I should try it sometime. Maybe. I do need to lose a massive amount of weight, but even though I'm more or less recovered from pneumonia, I'm supposed to take it easy. I don't WANT to take it easy. Sigh. (I am now shopping for interview clothing & work clothing for when I get around to that, and I'm realizing just how cow-like I really am. It's depressing, and I hated shopping before, so now shopping is extremely depressing. And awful.)