Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

Dear Lizzie,


Happy Valentine’s Day!


I’ve hijacked your blog because I want every one to know how wonderful you are. Your boundless kindness, true beauty (inside and out), sharp intelligence, and endless capacity to love make you amazing and make me (and Lucy) very lucky. We appreciate you so much, and you really carry this family…will you be our Valentine?


As part of today’s celebration love, I feel compelled to include a brief story of how I proposed to you (for the benefit of your readers since you were there, of course). I hope you don’t mind.


Love, The Bubba


An excerpt from The Bubba’s Memoir:


The City of Love

October 27 – November 3, 2004

Last Wednesday I flew down to France to visit Liz. She had vacation from teaching high schoolers for All Saints Day. It seemed like everyone took a month off for this holiday (it was only a few days), but that is just because french people know how to relax and enjoy themselves. My blood pressure dropped a few points just from being around them. We spent the first 4 days in Nantes (the 's' is silent) on the west coast. Of course the first day there we have lunch/dinner with 5 of Liz's french friends. The one who was my age could speak English, while the other 4 were older natives who have taken Liz under their collective wing. They spoke english better than I speak french, but since I know no french there were clear language barriers. Nonetheless, i enjoyed being the butt of a few jokes, and I had a memorable 4 hour lunch. No lie. We ate lunch for count'em 1, 2, 3, 4 hours. It was GREAT. The rest of Nantes was a flurry of croissants, baguettes, cheeses,coffee, and L’Apéritif (drinking and snacking before a meal). the flurry of all things french fortunately continued in Paris where we spent the last few days. The sights, the food, and the atmosphere continued to amaze me. From the Louvre to the Gothic churches to the Eiffel Tower to the Arc de Triumph at night, the passion of the city was palpable. On Tuesday, we climbed the Eiffel Tower to take in the view, and with Paris at out feet and the passion of Paris all around us, I proposed to Liz. Oh yeah, she accepted. Now you might say that I bought into the cliche of the City of Love, but as my dad said after I informed him later that day, "You'd be a damn idiot not to propose at the top of the Eiffel Tower." So there you go. Even though we were only about half way up the tower, I think padre was 100% correct on this one….


Liz and I got married 8 months later, and 3.5 years later things have only gotten better and better…


Q: What has 2 thumbs and is exceptionally lucky in Love?


A: The Bubba.


Photo 1: Smooching at the Eiffel Tower after the "official" proposal


Photo 2: This is right before I asked Liz to marry me. Her video camera had just run out of tape, my camera battery was dying, and we both felt broken after walking up about a cazillion steps. Despite the weariness, the moment felt perfect.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Dude, you just set the bar WAY high for my husband for Valentine's Day :) Seriously, what a wonderful post- both today's message to Lizzie and your memories of the proposal. I agree, you would have been crazy to pass up a chance like proposing on the eiffel tower. Good choice!

I wish the two of you many, many more happy valentine's days together.

Happy Valentine's Day to all three of you!

Lindsay said...

That's super nice!

Kate P said...

You guys are just too sweet to be believed.

Anonymous said...

Adam; Your message was way SOOOOOOO! nice. I will remember til I die the email from you with the pics from the incident in Paris.... You guys are great. Love YA Dad Theiss

Elizabeth said...

So Sweet! He's definitely a keeper!

Lindsay said...

You know there's something wrong with me when after reading all of that the first thought that popped into my head was, "Wow, hope she agreed to be their Valentine..." ;)

That was incredibly sweet. :o) And, while the proposal might fall under the label of "cliche," every relationship is so entirely different, and therefore every proposal would be entirely different. So, really, it was one of a kind. There. Bubba can feel better. :o)