Thursday, January 8, 2009

Standard Miscommunication

I was making some calls for my biz the other day.  And I called a place that was called something like A-1 Cleansing Service or something to that effect (what?  I'm not going to give out free advertising!) to see if they foresee any cleaning positions opening in the summer for some students to fill.  This is kind of how the conversation went:

Lady: Hello?
Me: Could I speak with the person in charge of hiring?
Lady: ...   Hiring? ...
Me: (a little unsettled) I'm calling to inquire about any positions that may be open this summer.
Lady:  (long pause) ...  Positions? ...

I'm starting to wonder if I am indeed speaking English.  Um, I think I am.  Let's try again shall we?

Me: I'd like to know if you have positions opening in the summer.  I'm looking for jobs for students.
Lady: ...  I'm sorry .... ????

Ok.  Deep breath.  One more try.

Me:  Um, what kind of business do you have?
Lady:  Oh, I do psychic readings and home cleansings!

AH.  I get it!  Cleansings!  Not a janitorial job for sure.   Also?  How well do you read people, lady?  It took eleventy thousand years of uncomfortable pauses for ME to get us to ground we could both stand on.

Me:  Oh, well, I guess I can't help you.  I don't think any of my students have "the gift".

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

WOW. Don't got to THAT woman for psychic readings. She couldn't even "read" what you were clearly trying to say.

maggie said...

HAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kate P said...

I'm with Elizabeth--she totally should've known what your call was about before you even dialed :)

Manda said...

CHORTLESNORT!
I think she should have been able to "sense" that you were barking up the tree. Hee.

Manda said...

THE WRONG TREE. GAH. I need to go to bed.

Twisted Cinderella said...

LOL that is a riot!