Tuesday, December 23, 2008

And Then KRAZY Moved In

I'm going nuts.  

I haven't really been out of the house since the snow started last Wednesday.  Well, except for a brief hiatus on Saturday between the first TWO snowfalls.  And even that wasn't a low stress spa day.  Oh no.  That was a very necessary treacherous trip to the grocery store because our cupboards were absolutely bare.  And then?  The line for the checkout went from the check stands all the way to the deli and around to the meat section.  You've been in a grocery store before.  You can imagine.  And I repeatedly whispered to myself "Jesus MEEK and HUMBLE of heart, make my heart like unto Thine."

Well, AND I went outside to marvel at the snow.  And take pretty pictures. 


Driving anywhere is out of the question for a ginormous Weather Wimp such as myself (I've heard Seattle will do that to you).  I mean, I'm not a snow neophyte.  I'm not from Sunny South Hotville where I never see the stuff.  For heaven's sake, Wisconsin has this kind of dump every couple of weeks in winter.  And I've never had a problem with it before!  But they have deicer and salt and plows!  (Oh my!)  And really, I've never had to go up or down an icy hill in Wisconsin.  Right now, I still can't get out of our driveway onto our unplowed, packed-snow, icy-underneath side street to get to the somewhat-plowed, sanded, icy-underneath arterial of sorts to get anywhere.  Not without chains.  

I've even been talking myself out of walking anywhere.  Well, by myself it would be fine.  And off I go!  Except I slipped and fell the other day, hit my head, and the Bubba also diagnosed an injured rotator cuff.  So walking with Lucy?  Is it responsible to take her out strapped to me on slippery sidewalks?  And if we fell?  I'd pull a muscle, and probably break something on her.  In the stroller?  Like pushing it through sand.  Can't. Make. Myself....

So we're stuck at home.  But not only stuck at home.  In our house there is one huge forced air vent for the entire house.  Now, it's not a big house - maybe 1100 square feet?  The bedrooms open onto the living room, and then the "office" leads from the living room to the kitchen (and bathroom).  The heating vent is in the living room.  There's an invisible force field from the living area to the office/kitchen/bathroom part of the house and the heat just doesn't get past it.  The kitchen and bathroom are above the garage.  It might as well be outside.  The bathroom is so cold that I have to work myself up to take my pants down in there.  

Our days are pretty much spent on staring contests in the living room.  With quick necessary trips to the kitchen or bathroom.  And this is when the Krazy came to live Chez Moi.  Lucy is either feeling it too, or else she's taking her cues from me, because she has become the Crabbiest Baby Of All Time.  Screaming when it's naptime (this girl is a good sleeper like her Mama most of the time).  Whining at all of her toys.  I have even tried the TV as a Distraction Tool to no avail.  Whining, whining, whining.  Boring into brain.


I only whine when I'm NOT outside!

I feel like I've been transported back in time and should be going out to hunt rabbit or learning how to prepare a meal of squirrel or something (good thing I went to the store when I did and we don't have to).

The straw that broke the Krazy shell (and when it rains, it pours, right)?  There are no presents under our tree.  We're not really "doing" Christmas this year.  That's a topic for another post, but regardless, we have no gifts.  I was counting on this past week to get our family exchange gifts and mail everything out.  Nice, Lizzie.  Now other people aren't going to have Christmas either.  In the Bubba's family we exchange names.  I know exactly what I want to do for the names we have, but I haven't been able to get to the shop!  And now they won't have an exchange gift to open on Christmas.  Not the worst thing that's ever happened to them, I'm sure, but I still feel bad.  We do have the gifts for the Bubba's goddaughter and Lucy's exchange name, and I would love nothing more than to have mailed them!  But the mailing store that is within walking distance has been closed as well.  

Thwarted at every turn.  

Good thing I made caramels yesterday.  And have heavy cream to put into my delicious coffee.

I do believe this will be the very first time since we've moved to Seattle that I'm praying for rain.

Ok, maybe I'll pray that the streets somehow miraculously clear instead.

6 comments:

Morgan S. said...

Ahhhh, sounds a lot like things out here near the gorge in Oregon. I have done NO Christmas shopping except for ordering the hubby's gift online. I haven't been able to go to work and the girls' daycare has been closed. I have not left the house since 4:00 p.m. FRIDAY. Thankfully the hubby heads out in his jeep wrangler for exercise at the gym, grocery getting and work today, or we would be at each other's throats. Snow = BOOO.

Elizabeth said...

Online shopping/giftwrapping/mailing is an option. They won't get there by Christmas, but closer than it seems you will be able to get them there! I hear you are all in for another bout of white stuff this week. What a shocker for the Seattle area!

We didn't "do" Christmas last year. Olivia was too young to know the difference and we had just spent a small fortune on legal/travel/medical adoption type things, so we figured that she was gift enough for us. I say you should milk the baby stage while you can. Olivia's gifts this year are each $6.00 or less because she doesn't know the difference and enjoys the wrapping paper more than anything else. There will be plenty of time for expensive gift giving when she's a teenager and has been sucked into brand loyalty and advertising and absolutely NEEDS an expensive sort of whatchamacallit that is exactly like her best friend's.

Carrie said...

Seriously, when I turned on the news this morning and the stupid weatherman on stupid channel 5 cheerfully said that it's going to snow again tonight and said something about accumulation- I about cried.

I've been spending a lot of time researching tropical vacations. Not sure if we'll take one or not, but it helps.

Hang in there. The snow HAS to melt eventually. Oh, and dont read the post I'm about to write about how I got out for two hours today.

Merry Christmas to all three of you. Hope to see you soon, if we ever get out of our houses again.

maggie said...

I KNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW.

Lindsay said...

Oh noes! Your comment about feeling like you have been transported back in time is a distinct sign I get when I have the winter Krazies. Hope things got better and you had a nice family Christmas. Love the snowman!

Wes & Teresa said...

I haven't been keeping up with your blog as much as I would like, but I really enjoy reading it. I can't believe how big Lucy looks. She seems much bigger than the twins. Will you guys make it to WI in January?