Friday, October 10, 2008

Diapers Diapers Diapersdiapersdiapers

Guess what I got today??

A rather large box of very pink cloth diapers!

Whoo hoo!  Party in Lucy's pants!

Ever since about the halfway point of my pregnancy, I've been debating and vacillating about whether to use cloth or paper diapers.  Disposables are awfully easy.  My sister used the flat cloth diapers - the kind you have to fold to fit the baby and secure with diaper pins and put plastic pants over - and that was no biggie.  So I figured, with practice using those, I couldn't go wrong with the all in ones.  And so far?  I lurve them.

I considered a diaper service that's close to us, but decided that it's not really the way for us to go.  First of all it's kinda spendy.  Not like can't-afford-it spendy, but more like do-I-want-to-part-with-something-else-in-my-budget? spendy.  And as easy as it would be to just keep dirty diapers in a bag and have someone else wash them, I could just as well keep dirty diapers in a bag and then wash them myself.  So I'll be doing a load of laundry a day instead of every other day.  Big deal!  As a friend pointed out, it's good thing we live in Seattle and water is cheap.

I think we've spent about as much money on paper diapers in the past two months as I spent on this first wave of cloth.  And the nice thing is that they'll fit her until she's potty trained (unless she keeps growing at her current speed which is unlikely - or unhealthy, one might question her pituitary function...).

Then there's the garbage question.  I am so thrilled that we won't be throwing away 18,000 bags of diaper garbage each week.  I mean, there are a ba-zillion babies in the US that wear paper diapers.  We could build an entire new continent with the waste disposables generate.  We could call it Shit Town like the Live song.  'Course I think they were talking about York, Penn... 

So, I am pretty self satisfied, smugly sitting here doing my part for the earth and for our budget, and admiring the HUGE boo-tay these diapers give my girl.  It might only last until tomorrow when I have loads of poopy laundry to do, but I'm not thinking about that right now...


Peek-a-boo!

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

CUTE! We haven't tried cloth diapers, but they are just so adorable that I'm tempted.

Kathy said...

Very cool. I first got into cloth trying to get my oldest used to wet and dry so she could potty train. The new kind are so easy that I thought "I can do this" and now have my second and third both in them (my oldest DID get potty trained, by the way!). I'd SO much rather dump the bag in the washer than lug the heavy garbage bag or the big boxes of disposables! Yeah for cool, new cloth diapers!

Anonymous said...

Lizzie, love reading your blog, the picture of the lovely Lucy are great..
Grandpa mike

Kate P said...

My youngest nephew (a few months older than you, Lucy, you cute thing!) wears that kind as well. They seem a lot easier to deal with than the previous generation of cloth diapers. That's cool.

Tara said...

Very cute fluffy bum! If it's any encouragement, we've been using cloth since we brought our 17 month old and haven't looked back since (not to mention her little sister who is due to arrive in a few weeks). Of course there are some annoying aspects, but it's not like you won't have those with disposables too.

I figure my life already consists of copious amounts of laundry, what's a few more loads?

maggie said...

I just got my box of pink diapers today. :)