Friday, October 31, 2008

Boo!

So far, this is a dreary, wet, chilly Halloween.  Do you know what we're not going to do today?  We are not going to walk in the Halloween parade on Queen Ann.  Really, I can't imagine anything that sounds more unfun than strolling leisurely along getting a load of all the cute little kids in cute little costumes in the cold and rain and know that Lucy could give a crap.

No thanks!  We'll try again next year when she's older and can get into it.

Halloween has always been such a fun holiday for me.  Growing up, my mom would make our costumes.  I was a Crayola Crayon one year, my brother was a shark (his head poked out of the shark's mouth - such an awesome costume).  Then there was the clown costume and the bear.

One year when he was in 5th or 6th grade, my brother announced that he was going to be the scariest thing he could think of - a barrel of toxic waste!  My dad helped him fashion belt straps to shoulder a metal barrel, and then fixed makeup to look like Mike's face was melting off.  It was pretty awesome.

The only drawback to awesome Halloween costumes was having to wear your coat over the top of it.  Either that or having to think of a costume that would fit over a snow suit.  That's one of the nice things about the moderate clime of Seattle!  No snow on Halloween!  But then again, we get the bone-chilling damp.  I wonder if Lucy will ever have the dilemma of choosing her costume based almost solely on the warm clothes she'll have to pile underneath.

Since we've been together, the Bubba and I have had theme costumes together.  I need to preface this by saying that we have a very unique sense of humor.  I say unique, but maybe I mean weird.  You see, one year we were a plug and an outlet - an easy costume to put together with cardboard boxes and tin foil.  The next year, I was a woman's reproductive system (uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries, the whole bit) and the Bubba was an OB/GYN.  I know.  I'm kind of embarrassed writing that down for the world to see.  But I made the costumes, and seriously?  They were wicked awesome.  And we got an A+++ for creativity in my mind.  (Even though my sister and mother, and really anyone else that we told about it were very severely weirded out about it and didn't know what to say.  But the people who SAW it LOVED it. I'm trying to justify myself to you - but WHATEVER!  The costumes were hilarious! the end.)

Creativity is paramount for costumes according to me.  Well, this year, I've got nothin'.  We batted around the idea of the Bubba being Dr. Evil and Lucy being Mini-Me and then I'd have my choice of female sidekicks - more than likely being Vanessa Kinsington...  We thought, oh, maybe we can go as a penguin family from the March of the Penguins.  Or since Lucy already has the faux-hawk and AB/CD (get it?  Instead of AC/DC?) t-shirt maybe we can be rock groupies.

And then after all these cool ideas, I assumed that some costumes would just magically appear in our house by the time Halloween rolled around.  And do you know what?  They didn't.

So here it is.  Halloween.  And I have to come up with something by the time we show up to our friends' halloween party this evening without being too awfully LAME. 

I see a trip to the craft store in my near future!


** Updated to add - TRY just TRY to find a SINGLE PIECE of black felt ANYWHERE on Halloween. Go ahead. Try.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow- you are creative! Good luck with the costume planning for tonight!

And I've heard that the Queen Anne parade is insanely crowded. But fun. Hopefully you guys can make it next year!

Kate P said...

Probably a smart move this year. (I won't tell you about the fantastic weather we had on the East Coast. Whoops.)

I'll bet all the craft stores and costume aisles are pretty empty now.

Carrie said...

So, what did you guys end up being for Halloween! The suspense is killing me!

Elizabeth said...

You ARE creative with costumes! We usually go for the easiest-to-make-with-what-we-have kind of costume. Luckily, Olivia had a cute hand-me-down costume this year. Kids are so fun to dress up, but I don't think we would have done it if she wasn't old enough to walk around on her own. Too much hassle.