Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Preparing

Tomorrow we leave.  We're headed to Wisconsin for the Bubba's sister's wedding and general family merry-making.  I am so excited.  I can't wait to have Lucy meet her grandma and grandpa and aunts and uncles and cousins.  There will only be about 80 million of them there.  My Bubba is the fifth of seven children and all the siblings have kids.  Not to mention that he also has like 50 first cousins (we tried to have a small wedding - it would be easier to get Palin to give up her outdated updo than to have a small wedding in this family).  

Also, since my Llama and sister live so close, they are going to drive up for a little visit on Saturday, so Lucy gets to see her grandma again and meet her Auntie Brenda and the cousins too!  It's going to be a very busy weekend of all kinds of stimulation for this little person.

Of course, to take the edge off my excitement, I have to be a little bit nervous and neurotic.  What the heck does one pack when traveling with an infant?  Thank goodness we're traveling to Wisconsin to visit family and not on vacation somewhere exotic (like Florence.  Hmm, I bet it's lovely this time of year....) where there aren't any Tar-gets.  

Lucy has a brand new dress for her Auntie's wedding.  So that goes.  And jammies.  And other clothes.  And diapers.  And wipes.  And the breastpump ('cause Mommy's going to be too busy dancing to be bothered with whipping her boob out every time the Bugga-boo cries).  What else?  Baby acetaminophen?  Diaper rash cream?  Her entire changing table?  I've never been away from home long enough to know what I can live without!*

Now, I'm not one of those people who overpacks.  In fact, I tend to be an under-packer.  I don't like to deal with the clutter of having a lot of stuff - especially if I'm trying to rush from point A to point B.  This comes from years of experience of being addicted to going to Europe.  Even my big cool diaper bag is a sad little saggy sack full of two diapers, wipes, my wallet and my chapstick.

So, I know I'm not too much of a "what-if" packer.  Which makes me nervous with an infant.  There's all kinds of what-ifs.  But then again, we'll have access to wholesale Marts, a washer/dryer, and lots of family wanting to help.  We're not even bringing a carseat - my Bubba's brother is picking us up from the airport with one to borrow.  And if I forget something, chances are I can get my hands on whatever it is in 'Sconsin.

Ok. So I talked myself down from the ledge.  I'll pack like I normally do and not worry about it.

I just can't forget the pacifier.


*With the exception, of course, of the hospital stay in which case she was sick and didn't need anything at all except food and clean diapers.  


7 comments:

Kate P said...

Sounds like a sensible plan to me. And fun!

zeghsy said...

whee! have fun. welcome to my neck of the woods. :)

Carrie said...

Sounds like you've got the essentials covered, and I bet you'll be able to buy anything that you forgot when you get there.

For the plane- essentials are pacis, bottles, diapers, diapers, more diapers, snack for you, empty water bottle to fill up when you get through security (it's so dehydrating on the plane, and you're nursing too, so that's extra dehydrating), definitely the baby tylenol (you just never know), blanket, toys to distract her. But especially extra diapers. And be warned, not all flights have diaper changing thingies- we had to get very creative, changing Ethan on the counter in the airplane bathroom.

Good luck with everything and have a GREAT time!

amber theiss said...

Can't wait to see you tomorrow!!

maggie said...

Have a good trip!

Manda said...

Just make sure your husband remembers your suitcase!! Hee!

Elizabeth said...

The good news is that you can overpack A LOT on babies because their whole wardrobe of tiny clothes takes up so little space. Be sure to bring diaper rash cream, lots of burp rags and the Tylenol, just in case. And an EXTRA couple of pacifiers. They are SOOO important.