Tuesday, September 2, 2008

PJs and Sneakers

First of all, how excited are all of us that Maggie's daughter Molly Elizabeth joined the Cheung family yesterday?!?!  I am absolutely beside myself, and I can just tell that Lucy is wicked excited to have a new little friend!  YAY!

These past few weeks are the most I think I've ever worn pajamas.  Every day I look up and all of a sudden it's 2 in the afternoon and I haven't even brushed my teeth yet.  And then all of a sudden it's very important to get out and see some sky before the day's over, but it's always a struggle getting out of the pajamas.

It means showering.  Which means time alone.  Which means Lucy has to cooperate.  It means finding clothes that both fit, don't make me look enormous, and, preferably, aren't maternity clothes (still working on that one).  It means having a destination in mind, the library or the supermarket, within walking distance, and a plan.  It means deciding among the baby-transportation devices: the Moby?  the Bjorn today?  the stroller?  Basically it means making hours worth of decisions just to get out of the pajamas to leave the house.  Really, most days I just want to throw some sneakers on and walk out in my jams with the kid in my pocket, but that would be scandalous.

Today we did make it to the library and to the mailbox to mail some thank yous.  And I started scrubbing the kitchen floor before Lucy woke up and interrupted the industriousness.  **Let me interject here that Lucy has been an ANGEL today.  No fussing!  Sleeping in the crib!  Being generally cute and smiley!  YAY! **  Now that the Bubba is home and entertaining the child, I can finish what I started.  This time I'm going to wax the floor after scrubbing it to see if it stays cleaner longer.  This was a genius idea from the Llama (thanks, Llama!) but it means going over the floor twice and then letting it dry for half an hour...  Ah well, the price you pay to have a clean floor.

I'm antsy to get into some sort of routine.  I'm not getting ready to force anything on Lucy, I'm just biding my time until I can get things done during times of predictable sleep and wakefulness.  I was thinking today that it would be really nice to be able to plan to go grocery shopping and not just wait until there's nothing in the fridge and then go for a frozen pizza and a pint of Ben and Jerry's (nothing at all against Ben or Jerry, of course).

So, I'm off to spend some quality time with my Linoleum.
Here's a gratuitous pic of the princess:


2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This is exactly why we plan our weekly outing days in advance. It gives me time to create a plan of action for how to get out of the house. I make lists of everything I have to get done and try to accomplish it all in one day with the baby. This has become MUCH easier now that she's older and more predictable, but it still takes planning. I remember when a trip to the mailbox made me feel like I really got something done that day. It's AMAZING how much you slow down with a newborn.

I can tell that Lucy CAN'T WAIT to have a playdate with Molly. Who can blame her? They are destined to be best buds.

Kate P said...

Lucy looks like quite the Seattle fashionista in her hat. I see matching outfits in the future for the galpals. . .