Friday, September 19, 2008

A Little Dose of Krazy

I forgot to post Lucy's stats from the hospital.  She's 24 inches long, people.  Everyone that saw her said, "Really?  Only 5 weeks?  She's so long!"  I guess I just assumed she was pretty average and I haven't had any other five weeks old to compare her to.  But I guess that's what you get when Daddy is 6'3".  Also?  She weighs almost 12 pounds!  So she's in the low ninety's percentile for weight and high ninety's for height.  Crazy.  As the Bubba says, she's well above average in every way.

I have the sweetest husband, and Lucy has the best daddy.  I'm about to wax sentimental for a couple paragraphs about how awesome he is, so go ahead and skip if you don't want to hear how dreamy I think he is.  He was such a good daddy while Lucy needed so much love in the hospital.

The things he says to Lucy are so cute, especially if he thinks no one is listening.  In the hospital at one point, he was just being by her when she let loose a couple of screams.  The Bubba said "Oh!  You're good at letting us know when you're not happy.  That's one of the things I like about you."

And he makes up songs to sing to her that are so sweet and fun.  When we were in the emergency room, he sang "Lucy Rose, we'll take you home to a place you can sleep.  No more nurses pokin' you and makin' you sad"  to the tune of Take Me Home Country Roads.  And in the hospital, he sang  "Lucy, my Lucy Rose, we're a-gonna take you home!"  To the tune of Swing Low Sweet Chariot.  And then, of course there were liberal sprinklings of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

It's amazing how kind of crazy you get after a couple of days in the hospital.  We started singing "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" to each other.  And I was absolutely shocked at how many words to the song by Bubba knew.

So, back to Lucy.  She's doing better today.  She's got a rash all over her little body which the doctors said to expect as the last symptom of the virus.  She has been spending more time alert and playing; she's still not eating or sleeping quite like normal, but we get closer every day.  She's had lots of nice smiles to share with mommy, and she's just milliseconds away from vocalizing.

She's so happy to be home:





5 comments:

zeghsy said...

she totally rocked that virus! way to go lucy!

Carrie said...

Well, the hospital stay didnt affect her cuteness!

Isn't it such a blessing to have a husband who loves being a dad so much? I am amazed by my husband and his fathering skills every day. And it sounds like your husband is going to be just as great!

have a great weekend!

Jess said...

She is a cutie and so is her dad! I'm glad you're home.

amber theiss said...

Those Theiss Daddies are so good! I'm so happy that Lucy is doing better. What a week for you all. Seriously can I just squeeze her for a bit? Way to go Mom and giving her the good stuff to make her grow!

Lindsay said...

awww, what a sweet dad. It must be so neat to see someone you have known for years in a whole new role in their life.