Friday, September 12, 2008

It Was Great In the End

It turns out I shouldn't have worried.  But I did.  I worried and I stressed and I obsessed and I imagined every possible outcoming scenario.

Carrie at Growing a Baby suggested we get together at Greenlake.

This is the woman who claims to be terrified of people she doesn't know and who refuses to talk to strangers.  And then there's me.  I'm an extrovert - but evidently an anxious one.  I hate calling and talking to people I don't know on the phone.  I really only do it because my husband is even more chicken than I am (he won't even call to order a pizza!), and someone in this family has to have the balls to talk to the cable company and order take out!

But back to meeting Carrie.  I went through 857 stages of anxious.  Do I do it?  Do I come up with some excuse not to?  Do I postpone until someone else can come to intervene if it's painful?  Will she like me?  What if she doesn't?  What if I swear?  I've been trying to cut back on that what with a baby whose first word I don't want to be a four letter shocker.  What if we decide to meet but don't recognize each other and then we both end up waiting around like the kid that doesn't get picked for the kickball team in middle school gym? 

I feel like I'm going on a blind date.

Being blog friends isn't like being friends in real life.  Well, in ways it's more intimate.  God knows I wouldn't admit what an anxiety ridden weenie I am in casual everyday conversation!  So, I feel like I know and like Carrie already, but what if she's different in person?  Or what if I'm different in person??  When you read something, you have the freedom to understand things however you want to.  You have the freedom of skipping over the stupid or boring or uncomfortable parts.  Real life is in your face, you can't ignore the hairy warts.  And what if Carrie doesn't like my hairy warts?

I shouldn't have worried.

Carrie is adorable, and her little Ethan is a charmer and I'm so happy to have new friends!  We talked a mile a minute about everything under the sun, and it's like we've already been friends for ages.  


And just for the record, she's just as easy going and likable and thoughtful and wonderful as she is in her blog!  I mean, she brought me (see: Good Eater) home-made zucchini bread! (By the way, it was so delicious I ate the entire thing last night.  Will start diet maybe on Monday.)

5 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm glad you liked the bread- I'm not even going to admit how much I ate yesterday. Let's just say that I am not going to weigh-in at WW today :)

I laughed out loud when I read your post, because I actually did have two blind dates at Green Lake back in the day. One was excruciating and the other was fine, but nothing too exciting. I was thinking about that when I was walking over to meet you and actually thought about telling you, but I forgot.

Enjoy the nice weather today- and we'll schedule another outing soon!

Lindsay said...

dude the internet never ceases to amaze me. Glad you two got out and about together.

Jess said...

Oh, so cute! I'm glad you guys had such a good time.

Elizabeth said...

FUN! I wish I had a chance to meet one of my bloggy friends, but everyone seems to live so far from here. It is nice, though, knowing that there are people out there sharing similar struggles and joys and willing you let you into their lives via internet. It makes it easier to keep a log of baby's life. I was never good at journaling, but this makes it easy.

Kate P said...

Very cool! And *ahem* (singing) Lucy has a boyfriend, Lucy has a boyfriend. . . don't tell Bubba. :)