Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fast Forward

Weeks 30 to 41 of my pregnancy crawled by, creeping forward in minute increments.  I couldn't stand how slowly the days passed, and I had such a hard time coming up with activities to keep myself busy so I wouldn't go crazy.

Since Lucy's been born?  I can't keep track of what day it is, and today I thought it was still August.  Nobody told me that as soon as the baby's here time flies!  Lucy is 5 weeks old tomorrow.  Where the heck have I been for the last 5 weeks?  I feel like I fell asleep a couple weeks ago and just woke up now.

Lucy's got a little personality coming out.  She cracks me up.  She gets really excited when we sit in the "nursing" position and can't contain her joy at the thought of food.  Sounds more than a bit like her mom....

Also, today she smiled and splashed all the way through her bath.  She hasn't been smiling reflexively as of yet, but it really seemed like she mastered that skill today just to tell me that she loves her bath.


The evenings are still amazingly fussy as compared with any other moment in Lucy's life.  I learned from another newish (her daughter's 10 months) mom last night that it takes a long time to get over that.  I almost cried.  Lucy is SUCH a fun baby.  She sleeps well at night, she's very pleasant when she's awake during the day, but the evenings she turns into a were-baby howling until bedtime.  Sigh.  This too shall pass....

In another positive note, Lucy decided to respond very positively to swaddling.  She's always hated it and fought it and it never relaxed her at all.  Now?  She'll sleep for 4 hours at a time without her mean old hands hitting her and waking her up.  Awesome.



I can't believe she's 5 weeks old already.  I start working again in a week and a half for my business, and I start tutoring again the week after that.  Time has just been melting away in puddles of breastfeeding and naptimes.  My baby's gonna be walking around and sassing me before I know it.  I better go get some sweet baby cuddles while I can!

3 comments:

Carrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

I know I keep saying it, but she is SOOO CUTE! I love the baby-ness of little babies. Except for that fussy time, they are purely wonderful.

Kate P said...

Burrito baby, yaaaaay!!!