Monday, August 18, 2008

What Weekend?

Really?  There was a Saturday and a Sunday in the past couple of days?  I didn't even see them.  They didn't even blip on my radar.  Every day melts together in a blur of diapers and boobies and burp cloths.

Well, ok.  There were a couple of things that indicated weekend.  Like the fact that my Bubba was around all day for two whole days.  Saturday we walked to the library and then Lucy and I dropped the Bubba off at the gym for basketball.  And then of course, there was church on Sunday.  Showing the baby off and whatnot.

Which was weird, because I felt again like she wasn't really my baby.  Everyone (all our regs) came after mass and said congratulations and whatnot, and I didn't know what to do.  It was kind of awkward.  I mean, I think she's awesome and everything, but I guess I didn't know how to handle everyone wanting to see her and compliment her and hear our delivery story and everything.  Don't get me wrong, I like the attention.  I just wish I knew how to maximize the attention and come away looking awesome.  That means being prepared and not looking awkward...

Also, this has me befuddled, so tell me true, women who have had babies: What's up with the belly sag?  You all saw how freakishly large I got at the end of the pregnancy.  Well, now, that largesse of womb space is empty skin and copious amounts of belly fat it seems hanging over like trucker belly.  Have any of you experienced this?  Does this go away?  I mean, I realize that I had a 15 pound baloon of whatnot in there just, like, last week, but still.  I guess I'd like to know whether this is just brand new fat that has concentrated in the area of my gut that I need to work off as soon as I can exercise?  And what happens to all the jiggly skin?  Does it just hang out?   I can fit into my old clothes except for the trucker belly.  I'm more than willing to give myself some time to get rid of it, I just want your reassurance that it will, in fact, go away.  What do you say?

And now, what you've all been waiting for:  pictures of the Lucy-lou-bugga-boo.


Trying to show her dimples...


Very Zen Budda Master Baby in Lotus.  OHM.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

She's so pretty! Getting cuter every day.

I think every woman's body recovers differently, but your belly will shrink and the skin will recover (at least mostly). I still have quite a pooch, but my stomach wasnt flat before, and I had a c-section, so that makes a difference too.

Glad you got to show Lucy off at church yesterday!

amber said...

OK seriously she is BEAUTIFUL.. gahh I want to get my camera and take copious amounts of newborn baby-ness with it.

Elizabeth said...

She's gorgeous! Love the Zen pose. It's weird how infants sometimes let their upper limbs hang in weird ways. I once knew a baby whose arm you could lift (like she was raising her hand) while she was asleep, and she would keep it there until you put it back. Funny.

Kate P said...

I think Zen Master Baby is saying, "One day at a time, Mom. . ."

She is cute right down to her little socks. (Did you make those?)

Heather said...

I am so happy to finally be able to meet you - transplanted- in Seattle! Lucy is beautiful...and I LOVE her name.

If you think the weekend goes fast, you won't beleive it when you celebrate her first birthday. It goes tooooooo fast.

Enjoy every gurgle, coo, and the little hum they make when they nurse. It goes away eventually and there is nothing like those noises that make a mom melt.
Heather

Heather said...

I am so happy to finally be able to meet you - transplanted- in Seattle! Lucy is beautiful...and I LOVE her name.

If you think the weekend goes fast, you won't beleive it when you celebrate her first birthday. It goes tooooooo fast.

Enjoy every gurgle, coo, and the little hum they make when they nurse. It goes away eventually and there is nothing like those noises that make a mom melt.
Heather