Friday, August 22, 2008

Olympic "Sports" and Fussy Babies

I haven't seen too much of the Olympics this year.  For the same reason I'm typing this with one hand.  I've been a bit preoccupied lately.

But last night I tuned into ... RACEWALKING.  When did this become an international sport worthy of Olympic fame?  These speed walkers have to go 50 kilometers or something ridiculous like that too.  What?  It reminds me of the high speed internet commercial where the dude is speed walking on the treadmill and the speed gets turned up super high.  These peoples' hips are replaced with rubber bands and tennis balls, I'm pretty sure.  They look so silly - I kept wishing they'd just jog.  Just jog!

Another sport that I thought "what the heck" before I watched it?  The trampoline.  But then I saw it, and I was all "this is awesome!"  They get like 30 feet in the air on those things.  Super impressive and not just a little scary.

So enough about that, now about me.

Last night was a no good very bad night.  Just as I was thinking, "Gosh, this can really work; I can do this!" about sleeping at night with Bubba on bottle duty,  Lucy was inconsolable last night.  From about 6pm to midnight.  Let's preface the story by saying that I was EXHAUSTED last night and we had a friend stop by to see the baby, and after dinner, I was DONE and ready for bed.  

The six hours went kind of like this: 10 minutes of sleepy baby followed by 20 minutes of fussy baby and 30 minutes of screaming baby.  Repeat.  I thought I'd lose it.  A couple of times, my Bubba had to take her from me and let me run away.  Right before Lucy settled down (finally) I started bawling because I couldn't handle it any more.  I wanted to giver her away.  I wanted to put her down and close the door and pretend she wasn't there.  I felt so bad about thinking those things, like I didn't deserve this little person because I don't have the patience for her.

And then she fell fast asleep and looked like an angel.  I was so upset about it all that I wasted the first hour of her sleep in the bathroom throwing up.  It was awesome, let me tell you.

Then the girl slept until 4!  The one time she's slept more than 2 1/2 - 3 hours  Sigh.  It's already almost noon, we basically just got up, and I could sleep all day today.  And really, I just might, because it seems like Lucy feels the same way.


5 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh, those nights of upsetness are so hard. Hopefully she wont do that again for a while and you can get some rest. Just remember you're doing everything you can, it's not because you're doing something wrong that she's so upset. And keep taking breaks and letting your husband have a turn when you need one. That's really important.

Elizabeth said...

OMG, this is exactly what Olivia did during our first night in the hotel after she was born (she was 5 days old). And I did exactly what you did...I worked myself into a frenzy and then made myself sick, and then I hardly ate for two days. I was so nerve-wracked. I think it would have been much easier if the same experience would have happened in the comfort of my own home, but we were waiting out the ICPC adoption approval. Olivia had several screaming nights when she was little, but she got over it, and now she's an angel (usually) at bedtime, so hang in there.

maggie said...

Last week at my folks' house my little brother said, "Which do you think is stupider? Racewalking or trampoline?" We couldn't decide.

It is SO OKAY to take a break. SO OKAY. It's totally overwhelming to be the Sole Feeding Source and responsible for everything and feeling like you should know how to get her to sleep. It's so okay to put her in her crib and walk away for a few minutes to catch your breath. You are doing awesome. Awesome! But everything can be improved with ice cream, right? I'll try to bring you some soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. Can't wait until my baby fusses herself to sleep too. NOT! At least you have gorgeous hair. Dang, girl!

Manda said...

Of course, that was me, but I have the compulsion to always id myself when I accidentally publish anon comments. SORRRREEEE.