Monday, August 25, 2008

Oblivious, Obviously

Lucy and I went out today.  For the first time just the two of us.  It was kind of a big deal.  Lucy had a pediatrician's appointment, and we were even on time.  I know.  I'm awesome.

In honor of this doctor's visit, the Bubba and I gave Lou her first bath-bath (not sponge bath) yesterday!  It was actually pretty exciting.

It started out all normal:


And then I decided that the open window created too much of a draft, so I closed it.  And dumped the potted plants along the window sill into the tub and covered Lucy with potting soil.  I didn't think to take a photo until it was already half cleaned up:

Poor kid, it scared her half to death - it's a good thing the pots didn't land on her, just the dirt...


All clean!!

Anyway, today was Lucy's two week doctor's appointment - she's 18 days old now.  She's 21 1/2 inches long, and weighs - GET THIS - 9 pounds 6 ounces!  She's gained a pound and a half in the past two weeks!  The doctor was pretty excited about that.  She's a good eater just like her mommy, what can I say?

Just as the nurse came in and instructed me to get her naked, Lucy performed the most explosive bowel movement I've seen yet.  It was a super impressive blowout.  Good thing this new mommy had stuffed a change of outfit into my bag as an after thought.  The nurse actually had a seat and waited for me to clean Lucy up.  It was pretty amazing.  

And then after the nurse weighed and measured Lucy and left, I threw the diaper into the trash.  Except I missed the trash and the diaper went onto the floor inside the trash cabinet.  Only then did I notice that there was a HUGE sign in capital letters saying NO DIAPERS.  Whoops.  So I tried to open the door to retrieve my mistake, but of course the doors are locked so the little kids waiting for the doctor can't play in the trash.  Sigh.  I just hope they wait until the very end of the day to open that so that they can't blame deer-in-headlights Lucy's mom.  Ah well, at least the diaper wasn't full of kid-eating-solid-foods poop...

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Those blowouts are the worst thing about having a little bitty baby. I remember picking up Olivia and discovering that her back was wet...and then realized that it was wet with runny poop! How a kid manages to get poop to go all the way up her back and out of her diaper is beyond me!

Kate P said...

I get it--dumping all the potting soil was to make the bath extra-worthwhile! :)