Friday, August 29, 2008

Fussy, Fussy, Fussy

The fussiness has increased.  She's not colicky, not whiny, just fussy.  She gets tired, and refuses to let herself fall asleep.  If she's nursing, she'll wake up when I try to reclaim my rightful property.  If she's in my or Bubba's arms, she'll cry every time her eyes droop which wakes her up all the way and makes her mad.  If we try to lay her down, screaming. 

Last night I had to take over Bubba's midnight shift because she just wouldn't calm down, and he was just too tired to deal with it (poor thing had to go to work today too!).  After the first signs of fatigue when a little rocking or nursing would usually do the trick, it took about 2 hours to get her to sleep.  And then, of course, she's awake in another hour and a half because she's hungry!  What a night!

And then today she wouldn't even sleep in the Moby.  This is usually my secret weapon.  She's all comfy-cosy in there and she snuggles in and snoozes for hours.  Not so much today.  She just wouldn't stop fussing.  So I laid her down in her crib to have a break from the crying next to my ear, and I turned on the white noise machine and gave her a pacifier.

This is what happened when I went in to check on her:


And then:


I didn't even want to venture any closer to the crib for fear of waking her.

So what the heck?  How do I keep this kid from over-stimulating herself to the point of not being able to settle down or only sleeping for half an hour?  Even as I write this she's waking up already.  Probably because she's hungry.  She's been fussing and fighting sleep for so long it's been hours since she ate.  Sigh.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I have some suggestions. First, avoid (as much as possible) any excessive stimulation. I know you're probably wondering how your life could get even MORE slow-paced than it is at this very minute. But I just remember Olivia's first two months as completely nerve-wracking because we brought her home on the eve (literally) of Thanksgiving, which is followed so quickly by Christmas and parties and gatherings and OVERSTIMULATION. And the kid didn't sleep well THE ENTIRE TIME.

And then, at seven weeks old, I had to return to work temporarily. The fact that we were forced to get her on a wake-up schedule in order to get to the sitter's in time actually helped A GREAT DEAL! I know it is incredibly hard to wake a sleeping baby (especially when Mommy is overtired and doesn't want to get up), but getting into this routine helped her start to sleep 6-hour stretches on a regular basis.

Know in your heart that most babies have a fussy time, particularly in the evening. So rest assured that you are in good company and there are mothers and fathers pacing the floor all over the country at the exact time that you are.

Finally, read "Becoming Babywise". It is useful as a guideline, but certainly not as bible truth. No matter what they said, I felt most comfortable rocking Olivia to sleep until she was about five months old. At that point, she wouldn't let me anymore and insisted on being put down awake, which is what we do always now, and she falls asleep almost immediately.