As planned, we started talking to the doctor about inducing labor perhaps Friday 8/8, but I was still leery of the idea, and I had cold feet. I was willing to undergo the cervical ripening cream that she suggested we start on Thursday, but I really wanted the opportunity to change my mind if I was scared to go through with things on Friday. The doctor agreed that we could wait until Monday at the latest.
Then we started talking about the baby's growth and her changes in movement in the last week or so. It seemed that her movements had gotten less regular and more in the lines of a bump here and there, but nothing like before. I had marked it up to there being no room in my skin.
Doctor got the ultrasound machine out and started taking measurements of Tad. She explained everything she was measuring, the pockets of amniotic fluid, the position of the baby. Bubba and I were looking on and chatting, comfortable that the baby was still doing well and we could wait to induce.
Then doctor said as she wiped the ultrasound gel off my ginormous belly, "Well, there's been a change of plans. I want you to go get your hospital bag and report to 5 South as soon as possible." I looked over at Bubba with wide eyes and he immediately made a "don't freak out" gesture with his hands. The doctor explained that the baby's placenta wasn't working very well anymore and she had very low amniotic fluid. The induction would have to happen as soon as possible.
I didn't really feel much as I left the doctor's office. Just that "Well, I guess it's today, then!" But at the same time I was feeling everything. Nervous and anxious and worried and scared.
Bubba and I came home and made a list of things to do before going to the hospital including Take Out the Trash and Eat Lunch. We didn't talk much. I think each of us had a million things going on in our heads. Too much to even have as much stimulation as a conversation.
When we reported to the hospital, we were ushered into an ante-partum room and started on Cervidil at 3pm. They put in a heplock IV and Bubba and I wiled away some time with cards. They then moved us to a labor and delivery room where we got comfy for the long haul. Bubba got some Z's but my contractions started to kick in around 10pm and I got all excited about the baby coming. I didn't sleep much more than an hour or so.
The doctor came in and checked my progress at about 3am when they took the Cervidil out and deemed us ready to start Pitocin. That's when the party really started.
to be continued...