Every evening I see the vamp up to the Olympic opening ceremonies and think, "Maybe Friday wouldn't be bad." My doctor last Wednesday mentioned that she wouldn't like this pregnancy to go past Friday. I guess for a couple of reasons - the first of which is that she still thinks the baby is on the big side. Like the baby already weighs 8 1/2 lbs. Which isn't huge, but she thinks the baby's ready...
Last Wednesday I wasn't ready to talk about inducing labor. I've heard nothing but horror stories about how much more painful labor is with pitocin and how much longer it takes. Frankly, it sounds like torture. But there's no real guarantee that natural labor would be much different... My doctor wanted me to sign the papers for everything at my appointment that day. I wouldn't. I was just certain that this sweet little amenable baby girl person would cooperate and come out last weekend or early this week like was expected of her.
Now, today's Tuesday. Day four of the count-up. And while I'm still antsy and anxious, I get a little more numb to the raw disappointment of not having a baby every day. Tomorrow is my OB appointment. We will again talk about inducing on Friday. Here's my dilemma: WHAT SHOULD I DO????
- Have a baby on Friday (or Saturday)
- Be able to plan everything for the type A part of my personality
- THE WAITING WOULD BE OVER!!!
- The cervix-softening cream I get on Thursday could make natural labor happen on its own
- Pitocin may be the devil and I really wanted a natural childbirth (until she took way too freaking long to bake in there)
- My doctor is out of town on Friday and I'd have to have someone else deliver me (I'm not sure what the chances are that my own Dr. would actually be on call if I deliver naturally. And I do like everyone in the practice..)
- My mother is flying into Seattle at 2pm on Friday (I was supposed to have the baby last weekend and she's coming to help!) and she'd have to take a cab directly to the hospital (KINDA PRO: Mom would be there for the birth!)
What do you think, guys? Please weigh in on my list!