Thursday, July 17, 2008

Technology and you

Yesterday as I was walking, I started noticing people's traveling media of choice.  Lord knows, we need our music and talk radio or whatnot to distract us while we're enjoying the outdoors!  There has been an evolution of all these personal listening devices that I think is pretty interesting...

Let's start waaaay back.  There's the guy walking along with his walkman clipped to his fanny pack.  Some people just get stuck in an era, don't they?  I remember my walkman.  I listened to Phantom and Mozart's Clarinet Concerto in A major on it.  And maybe some clarinet jazz.  I was a band nerd.  There I said it!  And oh how I loved a good clarinet piece - Gervaise De Peyer was my hero.  I also wore fluorescent spandex and Mickey Mouse t-shirts.  It's amazing that the walkman is still found in places other than tar pits...

Then that gave way to the next big thing.  See it modeled by the power walking lady with the wide hips.  She's gently holding her round disc-man in her hand as the other arm furiously pumps to keep her going.  I have to think back: when was the last time I put a CD into a disc-man and listened to it?  High school at least.  I think my disc of choice at that time was Duran Duran - oooh! or Bon Jovi.  I listened to the radio more often than not - Casey Kasem's top 40 was an absolute MUST so I'd be sure to know the coolest songs.  I may or may not have taped every Salt-N-Pepa song that came on the radio, and I may or may not still be able to sing along with all the lyrics to "Shoop".

And now we see an explosion of tiny little gadgets that hang off peoples arms or wrists or appendage of choice.  Mr. College-Student-on-Summer-Break over there is sporting an arm band cradling an iPod Nano.  These are everywhere.  A couple of people have the stick MP3 players that tuck into places I probably shouldn't be craning my neck to check out - if it weren't for my curiosity of the topic, of course.

My iPod nano is clipped in my pocket.  It has my collection of NPR podcasts (which I really couldn't live without and I use as topics of conversation WAY too often - still a nerd!) and my new favs: the Weepies, Spoon, Snow Patrol, Arctic Monkeys, Rogue Wave, Rilo Kiley (Jenny Lewis)....

What does your mode of music listening say about you?  I feel like carrying around a discman would transport me back to bad hair and awkward conversations with acne-ridden boys.  Or listening to a walkman would bring me back to the smell of key grease and walking around with my reed hanging out of my mouth.

I have decided, based on the (completely unbiased) empirical data collected above, that using old technology is akin to being stuck in tight-rolled jeans, t-shirts gathered in clips at the sides, and stirrup leggings.  

2 comments:

Manda said...

I love Rogue Wave! And Jenny Lewis!! We would TOTALLY be BFFs if we lived in the same town!!

Kate P said...

I recognized every artist you mentioned except the Weepies. Must go look up and have a listen.

After I embarrass myself by admitting I run a Discman through my car's tape deck*, and have just reached the point of saved-enough-for-an-iPod.

*But I'm playing the new Coldplay!