Monday, July 14, 2008

Ready or not...

After the last few weekends, I feel like I need an extra day of recovery!  The weekend was full of Bubba's work picnic, a friend's bike race, our church picnic, and even a little tutoring.  Oh, and a visit of the hospital where Baby Tad's going to show her face for the first time EVAH.

Overall, the hospital visit was a good thing, it relieved some of the "where are we going and what are we doing" stress.  We figured out where we have to park, where we have to check in, and we got a tour of some birthing suites and postpartum recovery rooms.  We can now visualize where things are going to happen, and somehow that brings a little comfort.

However, I suppose that I was completely overwhelmed with the entire thing and I ended up bawling and telling Bubba that I'm not sure I can do this.  It was just so HOSPITAL.  So tubes and monitors and machines.  So REAL.

I'm not sure what I was expecting.  I'm no stranger to babies being born.  I have been in many postpartum recovery rooms.  I candy striped on the maternity ward when I was in high school, for crying out loud.  I know how things happen.  Somehow I had glossed over all of that and decided that this baby is just going to magically appear in my arms after a relaxing night in the hospital (read "spa") without my having to even muss a hair.

The birthing suite was equipped with every kind of monitor and gadget for mom and a little bucket for the baby with warming lights and bells and whistles too.  Oy.  I started tearing up when I thought about lying in that bed with a nurse and a doctor and working on laboring Tad into this world.  I DON'T WANNA!!!!!  

I like the spa idea better.  I think as a species, we should work on evolving to the point where one moment we're getting a delicious massage, and the next we're holding our happy newborn.  Maybe Bubba and I will hold out for that to happen before baby number two.  Depending on how the next couple of weeks go...

2 comments:

Two Sick Peas In A Pod said...

It's gonna be ok. I promise. The breathing will really help.....maybe you should start breathing NOW!
We're thinking about you.
Susan & Brad

Manda said...

I AGREE!! I hate the hospital. So going in there and seeing where I would be laid up in labor DID NOT HELP. Everyone's like, "Manda, it's fine. It's not like you're going to be sick or anything." But it still FEELS that way!! WAHHH!