Wednesday, July 2, 2008

One thousand ninety-six days

The morning after the New Year's party, I called my mom and told her I met someone and couldn't stop giggling.  I had never done that before.  I knew then that I was going to spend all my time loving you.  And now you are as comfortable as my skin.

When you first told me you loved me, I asked you when you started loving me.  You couldn't have set it better when you told me: "I've always loved you.  My whole life.  I just didn't know you yet."

You asked me to marry you November 2nd in front of all of Paris after climbing the steps to the Eiffel Tower. We gave the all-we-could-afford $10 BHV plastic bling ring a fabulous view and strangers smiled at us and at each other and held hands sharing our happiness.

18 months after that fateful New Year's party, having lived in different cities, states, even countries for 90% of that time, we were married.  It was a leap of faith.  Looking back we didn't know each other very well, only that we were meant to love each other.

I've seen the world with you.  We've explored Sweden and France, Mexico and Istanbul.  And yet among my favorite memories with you is drinking a cold MGD that someone left in our fridge while sitting in the garage with the door open watching it rain after a day of working in the yard.

You are stubborn and frustrate-able and infuriating and patient with me and rational and kind and thoughtful and perfect for me.  Life has never been better.  I have never loved so much or felt so loved.  You help me be a more patient and understanding person.  There are stumbling blocks, and stubbed toes.  Life is not easy, marriage has not been a piece of cake, but laughing with you and loving you is the easiest thing I do every day.


Happy anniversary, my Bubba-Love.


4 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh, that's such a sweet post! Happy anniversary to you guys!

maggie said...

happy happy!

Kate P said...

Awwww! Happy anniversary, you two, and many more.

manda said...

Congrats!!
Now, how many years is that? You really can't expect me to do MATH in my condition, can you?