Friday, June 13, 2008

Work-a-day

In 2005, Bubba took this job.  He is a structural engineer, which basically means that he makes sure buildings are designed to stand up.  He loves his job.  I have never known anyone else (except for maybe my dad) who loves his job more.

At first, I hated his job.  Mostly because it is in Seattle, and I wanted to be closer to family in the midwest.  Because I had to move out here and put starting my career on hold in order to be a supportive wife.  At that time, I had no idea what being a supportive wife meant.  He would come home in the evenings (after I had a depressing day of applying for jobs and collecting rejection letters) gushing with excitement about the lode-bearing concrete columns he designed to hold up the garden on top of the parking garage.  And I was bitter.

Somehow Bubba and I found the grace of God to help each other through that tough transition and that first year of marriage.

All of the newer engineers at this firm are all around our age, our same life stage, getting married, having first or second children.  We have become very good friends with a number of these and have made a little community for ourselves.  Four years ago, I wouldn't have believed that I could count among my close friends the wives of Bubba's colleagues.  That just sounds so '50s housewife.  And yet, here I am...

Yesterday, I visited with a friend whose husband also works with Bubba.  And today I had lunch with another dear friend who is the wife of another of his colleagues.  These are girls that I can ask to come and do my laundry when the baby comes, or take me out when I've had too much at-home time.  And I realized yet again just how lucky we are, and how blessed Bubba is to have found such a good niche. Not only for himself, but for us and our family.  



1 comment:

Carrie said...

That's great that you've made such dear friends. It will be a huge help!

God is faithful, even when we dont like the circumstances!