Thursday, June 19, 2008

Beginning of the end...

It started with a dream that I was laboring to deliver some animal - a calf? - and then I became vaguely aware of the soft light in my own bedroom from the streetlight outside and the sound of my fan.  At first I wondered why I woke up.  I got up thinking I must have had to pee, so I made my way with one eye open to the bathroom.  By then I realized that it was a weird feeling that woke me up.

It felt like a really bad menstrual cramp with backache, and a heat flash rose from my belly to my neck and face.  I figured Braxton-Hicks had finally decided to exercise its control of my uterus.  Except it hurt!  Whenever I read about or heard about these little practice contractions, they are described as "uncomfortable".  Oy.  This was pretty painful and I thought "there's no way I'm getting through tougher than this without some kind of medication to help!"

And then the fear set in.  Ohmygoodness, I only have 5 more weeks (give or take).  There's so much more I want to get done!  We haven't even visited the hospital yet!  Or taken classes!  I haven't finished my labor books.  I need to get more squared away with my business!  My HOUSE IS DIRTY!!

And then I went back to sleep and woke up this morning more or less oblivious to the angst of the mid-night crisis.  The only evidence now is a list of things to do.  A very random list written at 3am covering things I want to get done in the next 5 weeks (give or take).
  • Finish reading baby books
  • Clean the house
  • Buy a Moby
  • Narrow down the name list
  • Go to the movies one more time
  • Weed whack the yard
  • Organize the pantry
  • Mop the kitchen floor
  • Organize kitchen cabinets
  • Wash the walls
  • Clean the blinds
Wash the walls?  Seriously?  Who am I?  So, I'd love to hang out, but it seems that I have a panic list to accomplish.  Is this what they call nesting?

2 comments:

Kate P said...

There are those weird dreams again. :) My SIL was washing the windowsills like crazy before my nephew was born. Sounds like nesting to me!

Manda said...

Ha ha ... I've actually had a wall-scrubbing urge in the last week!! Hey, maybe you'll get lucky and Tad will show up as soon as she's full term!! Then you'll get to avoid those REALLY fun last few weeks of pregnancy (and miss out on scrubbing walls, ha).
p.s. In response to your last comment ... I only put up flattering pictures of myself on the internet. Most days I also look like a giant frump. :)